Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Q: 11 AUG

Time travel, looks like everybody thinks it’s dodgy?

How do you think it should work in fiction?  How would it work if someone did?  New alternate reality generated everytime someone time shifts? Or… The past is immutable, no matter what it won’t change? Thoughts?

In fiction, it's just like plot armour: it works when the writer wants it to.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TGP said:

How do you think it should work in fiction?  How would it work if someone did?  New alternate reality generated everytime someone time shifts? Or… The past is immutable, no matter what it won’t change? Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

If there is one thing I've learned from all the time travel shenanigans in Star Trek, time is slippery, consequences are weird and paradox is bullpies. 

I'd rather not mess with it; too many ways for something to go wrong..

I agree with @Sylverthorne's assessment.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Only if we could just view it, like an apparition without the ability to affect anything.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, TGP said:

As long as it makes sense (Easier said than done!) I don't mind how they do it.

My own personal take on it would be:- Travel to the future is impossible, it's always being made so there is no future to travel to. Travel to the past is possible, but since a persons mere presence is enough to change it, you essentially unravel time to that point and it all has to play out again, making it a one way trip and any knowledge they bring potentially useless.

Doesn't make a good basis for a story, but that's why I'm not a writer! 

• Like 9

On 8/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I've got one!

294156557_10222113899896675_3241879113306831987_n.jpg.9aed6f4a578675959969bb51cc4752fb.jpg

Which do you pick, and why?

I think I will smell the flowers & leave both doors alone; re, I doubt new decisions wouldn't just compound the mistakes AND large amounts of extra money is dangerous for old drunks like me.

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Time travel seems to me to be going back or forward from one rotten situation to another. No matter the level of technology, we. people that is, do tend to make a mess of things.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, TGP said:

I've seen enough scifi and real life scientific explanations to understand that... it's complicated (it's time AND space) and altogether a bad idea. Sure, it can be fun but problems always seem to arise.

First, let's avoid destroying ourselves master faster than light travel, then we'll talk time travel.

• Like 8

Q: 12 AUG

Do you or have you ever played hybrid games?

(Such as mixing 5e with Savage Worlds or Warhammer augmented with some other tabletop game.)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

(Such as mixing 5e with Savage Worlds or Warhammer augmented with some other tabletop game.)

Our last campaign was GURPS Expanse.  The Expanse world system but run on GURPS.  There have been others when we liked the world but not the rule system.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TGP said:

A few times over the decades.

With my old group from the 90s, we occasionally added third party rules and shoehorned them in to fit our D&D 2e game.

And recently, our Eberron game migrated to a story line where we were suddenly fledgling immortals on the path to godhood. Other home brew rules were introduced to accommodate the system. We totally lost control within several games.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

If you considering throwing in Skaven or Black Orcs into D&D then yes. I mostly tend to keep things the way the authors(companies) intended too. It's easier that way for me.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

All. The. Time.  Last weekend, for example, we played Not-Shadowrun using GURPS rules, with a mix of Heroclix and Rifts miniatures.  And we use 3rd party scenarios with whatever rules set we like pretty often. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Doubtful, doubly so for the example as you'd be doing poor "favors" to the other game 😛

Now, if it were mixing models, sure that's one thing but two games that weren't designed for use together... Hard to say

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I do not. Sadly, I remain a wannabe gamer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

23 hours ago, TGP said:

I've read a couple of stories where time travel only works in one direction, going into the past. I like that idea. I've also read at least one example where the energy differential is so great as to be catastrophic. Like when an electron drops from a high energy state to a low energy state and emits photons... Same idea. Lots and lots of photons emitted as a result of an object moving from the future, a high energy state, to the past, a low energy state. In the story I read the resulting output of excess energy was dumped in the time period where the object was taken from thereby destroying large portions of the future universe. So no star trek like time travel, but good for a plot hook or two regardless. Fun stuff. 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes. My group uses our own homebrewed ruleset that's generic enough to handle most genres. Then we steal heavily from established games like D&D and Shadowrun. Further complicating things, I like to mix up genres in my games. So it's not odd to find goblins in my Shadowrunish universe or dragons building up rudimentary corporations in D&Dish universe. 

• Like 7