Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

28 minutes ago, TGP said:

Q: 17-18 AUG

Who do you trust for movie and TV series reviews? 

Examples: Friends only — A particular Film critic — Website — A publication — crowd sourced reviews…?

Don't really listen to critics...

A lot of my favorite movies were panned by critics...

🕷

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I wondered was anybody gonna go there. French chambermaid…

What does your girl have against the French ??

there is a reason for wolves reputation ya know...☻

• Like 7

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Examples: Friends only — A particular Film critic — Website — A publication — crowd sourced reviews…?

Nobody.

Maybe certain friends.

Definitely NOT critics.

• Like 8

The hosts introducing movies on turner classic.  New stuff? Nobody.  But I'm more likely to read a spoilerific review than watch most new movies anyway. It's faster and quieter.  Sensory overload makes it impossible for me to go to a theater, haven't been in one since les mis came out.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Uh... no one, really.. although the higher the hype, the less likely I am to watch it out of the gate, whatever it ends up being..

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I actually try to avoid critic reviews because, at the end of the day, it's just one person's opinion. The only difference is that they have a mic to let everyone around them know what they think.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Pretty much nobody,  but I will watch the Honest Trailer of it after the fact because it's cute.   Or something.  I like their sillyness. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, TGP said:

When I was a movie goer, I liked Gene Shalit's reviews. but, since I lost my hearing. movies have lost their charm.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, TGP said:

No one really.

I have a tendency to really like stuff that's not popular, and not see what's so great about stuff that is popular. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I generally don't look at reviews.  For new movies I generally go based on trailers, or if a friend has said it was really good. Or if it has superheroes or spaceships in it......
I usually avoid anything released late in the year that immediately gets nominated for a bunch of award. Those generally are the kind of entertainment I'm looking for.
I WILL check out movies and shows that folks mention in the appropriate topics here on the forums.  Some great recommendations in there.

If deciding if we will watch a movie on a streaming service, I will often check it's rating on IMDB or rotten tomatoes.  If it has a really good rating, we will watch it.  If it has a really bad rating, we will watch it too.  But I may skip if in the 60-70 range, as they can be pretty meh.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, TGP said:

It's a mixed bag, and there is a lot of "It depends".

Superfans of a franchise go to extremes of love/hate of new material. Some are happy just to get anything. Others will never be satisfied or just won't give it a chance (LotR: Rings of Power). Knowing who the target market of a show/movie is helpful. So I treat reviews of franchises like Twilight, or Micheal Bay movies differently than a Denis Villeneuve one.

In a perverse way, I look at Rotten Tomatoes for early screening reviews. If a major studio production has no reviews, or close to none, the week before release, then I have good reason to believe it will be terrible.

Eventually, the hype goes away, and more critical reviews will appear. Either serious ones or humorous ones (Honest Trailers; Pitch Meeting).

All in all, it doesn't surprise me if I skip the movie theatre and wait for it to go on TV, or wait until after a TV series is complete until I get into it. If it's good, it'll stand on its own whether I watch it on release or not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TGP said:

There's three people who's movie and TV recommendations I trust. My sister, because she knows exactly what kind of nerd I am. My former Latin professor, because he's pretty close to being the same kind of nerd as me. And this dude Bill that isn't even close to being the kind of nerd that I am but he hasn't recommended anything bad yet.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, TGP said:

No one, I like what I like.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Yer friendly, possibly local, Inquisitator has no reliable source for this sorta thing. I find myself in X-Files mode:

T R U S T   N O   O N E

—Was that Muldur or Scully? I forget. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3