Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 17-18 AUG

Who do you trust for movie and TV series reviews? 

Examples: Friends only — A particular Film critic — Website — A publication — crowd sourced reviews…?

I'm not much into reviews, but I do listen to the Plugged In Movie Review from Focus on the Family. They focus on evaluating content as age appropriate, not whether you'd enjoy it or not. I use it to determine if non-cartoon movies are something I could take the kids to without traumatizing them or vetting the film first. 

• Like 7

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/16/2022 at 2:44 AM, TGP said:

Q: 16 AUG

Do you think Reaper should build terrain pieces or kits?

What kinds of things? (If yes?)

And by “build terrain” I mean create and sell more terrain items. There are 126 items flagged as terrain in the catalog already. 

If they can make money at it why not.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, TGP said:

Q: 17-18 AUG

Who do you trust for movie and TV series reviews? 

Examples: Friends only — A particular Film critic — Website — A publication — crowd sourced reviews…?

I haven't looked at a review in years.

• Like 7

Q: 19 AUG

Have you ever chucked a miniature?

(Hurled it at a wall because the paint job ruined it; trashed it for being too hard to assemble; binned one in anger, etc.)

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, TGP said:

(Hurled it at a wall because the paint job ruined it; trashed it for being too hard to assemble; binned one in anger, etc.)

No.

I sell it/give it away.

If it was particularly vexing, I'll chop it up for bits. :devil:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

There was one years ago that I had just put the finish spray on. It then toppled into the trash can & came out looking like a giant dust bunny.

It was deposited back into the trash can...it seemed happy there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Once again 

What the wolf howled...

I still have the first mini I ever bought/painted from 1978!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Not in anger.

Though I have hurled a Bones figure at a wall to test the durability. Remember those "test videos" during the first Bones KS where they drove a car over them to demonstrate their resilience. Floppy swords be damned!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Not on purpose.  I lost an early paint n take effort when it went through the washer and dryer. It was the cutest little teddy bear toy solider and I thought I had done a really good job painting it.  His head fell off, the paint job chipped, and all his edges melted/wore off.  There was no saving him.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Not really, on purpose.  I mean I've probably tossed some bare Bones figs in a bin or on a shelf....
But for really chucking one, in my early days of painting I was trying out the AP Dips for some metal skeletons, dark tone dip over white base coat as I recall. I was out in the garage and was using pliers to hold the metal base while dipping,  After the dip you would give it a few good shakes to get off the excess.  Of course one slipped out of the pliers during the shake. Binged off the floor and made it a good 15-20 feet (I miss my giant old garage.....).  Luckily he was a skeleton, so could be bent back into shape without too much damage.  The initial hit was to his base, so no critical damage. It's still around here somewhere with the rest of the horde.  I don't think they've gotten unpacked since we moved....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Yup. https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/77092 Not a great experience trying to paint that one.

Since moving into traditional art, I now chuck things /at/ bad projects. I had a very frustrating experience with my first full-finish non-classwork portrait in charcoal. Had it up in my living room, trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it...finally I just took off a sock and threw it at the drawing. Felt awesome and was so stupid that I couldn't help but laugh. Which reset my critical brain, I saw one of the eyes was too close to the nose, erased the entire orbital area, and later redrew the eye.

Ended up being my most lucrative, award-winning piece.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes.

In the past I've binned a few resin minis I'd ruined during assembly due to my clumsiness (I'm a lot more careful now!).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Not deliberately. I can't think of one I've deliberately round-filed. 

I've had some less than charitable commentary for a few, though ... 😕

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Well, my kitty doesn't like my vulture men. I found one wedged in the bottom of the toilet once. He was metal and survived just fine. 

I've got quite a few that may be headed that way. They're going to the FLGS for the free bin, but if no one wants them, they will be disposed of. 

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, TGP said:

No, I have better anger management than that.

• Like 9