Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Yes I have. Not at the wall, but I have tossed one or two into the trash bin. The one I know for sure was the old metal WoTC Chainmail troglodyte zombie/skeleton miniature. Just imagine a metal skeleton miniature that had the properties of a Gen 1 Bones material. After you're done, imagine on top of that, nothing fitting where it should go. The only redeeming feature of that miniature was the metal could have went to ReaperCon & the melt table (speakin of which......) but this was way before RCon was even thought of. Recently there was a mini I was doing for ReaperCon, but reasons for not tossing it into the trash outweighed the the motion & I didn't do it.

I remember this mini. There were a few from that line that were terrible. Many of the Chainmail minis I owned got given away or sent to a melt bin. I have been known to throw them in the big metal recycling bin at the dump. 

• Like 6

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 20-21 AUG

Weekend Topic—Slots in Bases. How do you like to hide, cover, or fill them when you want to make one disappear?

image.thumb.jpeg.64453296cae154586730be633a0ab4d8.jpeg

These are known in their industry as “Stadium Cup Lids” I try to never throw away anything made of this sort of plastic. It feels a lot like the Bones plastic. 

It can be cut with scissors. 
Little pieces make good flagstones.  
it is sturdier than tape, paper, post it note material, or cardstock. 

It is not as difficult to cut or shape as plasticard. 

That is my go to material for covering an unwanted slot -or- covering the section that is still visible after the tab on the figure has been inserted. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Topic—Slots in Bases. How do you like to hide, cover, or fill them when you want to make one disappear?

I have used drywall gap filler. Put masking tape on top, put schmear on bottom, let dry, remove. Very lightweight and surprisingly durable. Most of the time I just use extra sand and glue or static grass. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:46 AM, TGP said:

(Pictures of methods please!)

(Yours or some that you can find, either is grand.)

Basing & bases are my thing. I am surw that I used the slot as intended when GW first introduced their "slotta" bases. I found that they often place the miniature at awkward angles.

Basing changed dramatically for me in the mid 90s when I started using plumber's epoxy putty for the basis of my groundwork. Those minis with tabs got the tabs cut into wedges that I would then stick into the putty groundwork. Minis with integral  bases got their bases cut & grinded off & pins (nails) added for sticking into the putty.

With the plastic bases I also fill the bottoms with putty for added weigh & to give me a spot to initial the minis...I used to date them as well.

Now I have switched to using LITKO wooden bases. I usually sve the slotted plastic one for guys I know who play Warhammer.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:46 AM, TGP said:

Basing & bases are my thing. I am surw that I used the slot as intended when GW first introduced their "slotta" bases. I found that they often place the miniature at awkward angles.

Basing changed dramatically for me in the mid 90s when I started using plumber's epoxy putty for the basis of my groundwork. Those minis with tabs got the tabs cut into wedges that I would then stick into the putty groundwork. Minis with integral  bases got their bases cut & grinded off & pins (nails) added for sticking into the putty.

With the plastic bases I also fill the bottoms with putty for added weigh & to give me a spot to initial the minis...I used to date them as well.

Now I have switched to using LITKO wooden bases. I usually sve the slotted plastic one for guys I know who play Warhammer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:37 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

I remember this mini. There were a few from that line that were terrible. Many of the Chainmail minis I owned got given away or sent to a melt bin. I have been known to throw them in the big metal recycling bin at the dump. 

I think there were equal amount of stinkers vs great minis in that line up. Considering  most of them were done up by similar artists Reaper uses, that is quite surprising. Probably due to the source material, as they didn't have Talin"s awesome artwork to work from.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 22 AUG

Did you learn a new technique, that you might try, from the answers to the previous (weekend) question?

Nope.

Slotta bases seem to be becoming a thing of the past (At least with the minis I buy), so I'm happy to stick with Green Stuffing the gaps on the odd occasions when I come across one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Did you learn a new technique, that you might try, from the answers to the previous (weekend) question?

New technique? No.

I have learned some new materials to try the old techniques with, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I have not.

Then again, most of what I've painted in the last year already had bases.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

No, I did not read them.  I gave up on slota bases like the industry did.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:46 AM, TGP said:

Pretty much what others have said, usually putty of some sort.  Can't recall when I last did a slotta base though.  They usually get cut off and pins put in, or in the Bolt Action, they are just superglued flat, since their bases are too thin to do anything like pinning with.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I did not, although I was reminded about cutting down a slot into two pins, which I've tried once or twice but had completely forgotten about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:46 AM, TGP said:

For the most part I have removed the excess metal and then pinned the mini as I wanted.  When used as intended I usually fill the gaps by pressing in a little GS and then decorating as normal with paste/sand/grass/cork/rocks/etc.  Really my only problem with that style of base is that it locks the mini into facing a certain direction.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I believe I have heard of pretty much everything mentioned, though I have not tired all of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:35 AM, TGP said:

Q: 19 AUG

Have you ever chucked a miniature?

(Hurled it at a wall because the paint job ruined it; trashed it for being too hard to assemble; binned one in anger, etc.)

Never thrown one, althought the old Ral Partha Battlteech Marauder and the Vulture or Madcat minis have come close.

On 8/20/2022 at 1:46 AM, TGP said:

Latex bathroom caulk from a tube works well and can be shaped easily.

• Like 5