TGP

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/17/2022 at 9:11 PM, TGP said:

Q: 17-18 AUG

Who do you trust for movie and TV series reviews? 

Examples: Friends only — A particular Film critic — Website — A publication — crowd sourced reviews…?

On 8/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, TGP said:

Q: 19 AUG

Have you ever chucked a miniature?

(Hurled it at a wall because the paint job ruined it; trashed it for being too hard to assemble; binned one in anger, etc.)

No, I do sell stuff every now and then, if a mini isn't worth the trouble it may end up as a casualty/chopped up and adorning the base of another mini.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:46 AM, TGP said:

Q: 20-21 AUG

Weekend Topic—Slots in Bases. How do you like to hide, cover, or fill them when you want to make one disappear?

(Pictures of methods please!)

(Yours or some that you can find, either is grand.)

Greenstuff or Milliput then flock it.

Nowadays I also print a lot of bases sono more gaps.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 22 AUG

Did you learn a new technique, that you might try, from the answers to the previous (weekend) question?

Not really.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 8:35 PM, TGP said:

Q: 19 AUG

Have you ever chucked a miniature?

(Hurled it at a wall because the paint job ruined it; trashed it for being too hard to assemble; binned one in anger, etc.)

Miniatures, no, dice, yes

Miscasts/misformed sprue not counted

On 8/20/2022 at 4:46 PM, TGP said:

Q: 20-21 AUG

Weekend Topic—Slots in Bases. How do you like to hide, cover, or fill them when you want to make one disappear?

(Pictures of methods please!)

(Yours or some that you can find, either is grand.)

Paper and PVA glue, seeing as I'm usually gluing flock or something else to the base over the top of it anyway

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Q: 23 AUG

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?  Have you noticed other people defining it differently from the way you do?

It's mostly things that we buy that we have an intention of working on, but never get around to it. Right now people tend to be calling it the Shelf of Potential, in order to avoid any negative connotations.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?  Have you noticed other people defining it differently from the way you do?

There is no shame in the hobby in my opinion.   It's a shelf of inspiration and infinite possibilities.   Wait, that's "the backlog" I don't really have any wording for the shelf of half finished and temporarily set aside projects, but shame is definitely not on there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

I see it as my personal mini store, I can choose whatever I want to paint from it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?

Some say:

…it is every mini bought, but is otherwise untouched. 

Some say:

…it is minis that have been assembled and primed but are waiting sadly for paint.

Some say:

…it is minis that have been worked on to some stage but now sit abandoned. 

Some say:

…it is minis that have been wrecked by sad paint jobs.

So please chime in on this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

For me, it covers anything that is in the "partially assembled to almost finished" range. I also don't really consider it a "shame", or "a shelf".

Just stuff I haven't gotten to or got stuck on.  A lot of my unprimed to base coated stuff is things I needed for a game, so I'm actively using them regardless of paint state.

And "a shelf" doesn't really come close to covering it.  Mine is currently roughly..... 19.... shelves and or other flat surfaces, that I can see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

I keep it simple: "You started painting a thing, but did not complete it." Some of us have hundreds to many thousands of miniatures, so priorities change. And I don't include priming and prepping in that definition.

The only shame comes from us imagining our unfinished projects looking down on us from a shelf. At least they would if their eyes were properly painted. I have no idea which direction those googly cross-eyed monstrosities are looking.

• Haha 12

3 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

I dont use that phrase. This is my hobby, something I do for fun. I dont want or need a phrase that makes me feel bad about it. That seems counter productive to me. It's all just 'stuff that's not done yet.'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

It's more like the Drawer of I'll Finish That Eventually. 

I don't really do the 'shelf of shame' bit. Motivations shift, inspirations move on, and sometimes you just have to shift gears. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

The Shelf of Shame, to me, means somewhere I have put projects that I have started and *intend* to finish but haven't gotten back to them yet. However, while it may /sometimes/ be a shelf it's not really shameful. I just need to get back to them. Lack of Motivation on the big projects has been a killer to them. Also, they go there with uncertainty. "Will I strip this and start over?" "Will I, realistically, ever finish it?" Etc.

• Like 8