Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Some say:

…it is every mini bought, but is otherwise untouched. 

Some say:

…it is minis that have been assembled and primed but are waiting sadly for paint.

Some say:

…it is minis that have been worked on to some stage but now sit abandoned. 

Some say:

…it is minis that have been wrecked by sad paint jobs.

So please chime in on this. 

I really think that it all comes down to,

Ooooh Shiney!

Kind of pushing all the older stuff out of the way so that you can work on whatever has caught your attention....

But it seems to mainly be things that have been partly / fully assembled, and primed, begun that get classed as the "shelf of shame"

Weather it is a shelf (Guilty)

a Padded box (also guilty)

I really do not consider things still in the original box / blister / packaging candidates for the shelfs of shame...

As @Glitterwolf said, they're just my stash...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it the Projects in Progress box... Most of it I either got distracted from or lost motivation early on in the project, so I occasionally go back and revisit them.

Anything that hasn't been started yet doesn't count.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 23 AUG

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?  Have you noticed other people defining it differently from the way you do?

I don't really use the term, but if I did I would consider it unfinished projects. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?  Have you noticed other people defining it differently from the way you do?

Everybody seems to have their own take on it.

My definition is stuff I've started painting but never finished (AKA The Cupboard of Unfinished Things).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

20 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I dont use that phrase. This is my hobby, something I do for fun. I dont want or need a phrase that makes me feel bad about it. That seems counter productive to me. It's all just 'stuff that's not done yet.'

I with Wolf on this. Negative feelings are not a motivating factor for me. I work The Craft because it is something that I have come to love over a goodly number of years.

I have The Vault of Pack Rattinesss. Within it are a treasure trove of little creations waiting to be brought to life. Those thing that I will not be here long enough to bring to completion will find their way to other folk & bring them the joy that I they would have given me.

23 hours ago, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

20 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I dont use that phrase. This is my hobby, something I do for fun. I dont want or need a phrase that makes me feel bad about it. That seems counter productive to me. It's all just 'stuff that's not done yet.'

I with Wolf on this. Negative feelings are not a motivating factor for me. I work The Craft because it is something that I have come to love over a goodly number of years.

I have The Vault of Pack Rattinesss. Within it are a treasure trove of little creations waiting to be brought to life. Those thing that I will not be here long enough to bring to completion will find their way to other folk & bring them the joy that I they would have given me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have a case of shame.  It is reserved for projects that I started and abandoned for whatever reason, with the assumption that I want to keep the dust off of them for when I eventually get around to finishing them (this has never happened).

image.png.736ce159f3fa229af4f6b4eba239fb67.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, TGP said:

The Shelf of Shame

I call it the Wall of Achievement Yet to Come. Minis started will be finished when they are finished. As I've aged, I'm noticing I feel less and less shame (in just about everything, not just my painting); there's always the next day to finish stuff.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

24th question?

I need to post one. I got sidetracked today. At this point it will probably be a 24th-25th Question, to give it more than 7 hours. Now I have to wait 620 seconds…

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Q: 24-25 AUG

Food—Cooking

What is a dish that you have decided is One and Done? (You made it or ordered it; ate it and then put it on your not again list.)

Do you watch any Cooking Shows? which one(s)?

Edited by TGP
Give us a warning about foods not worth the bother; or tips on where to find better recipes.
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

What is a dish that you have decided is One and Done? (You made it or ordered it; ate it and then put it on your not again list.)

.. can't really think of any offhand, honestly. I know there have been a few; these things happen. But I don't remember specifics.

I don't really do cooking shows. I used to watch Julia Child, occasionally, but that's been a long time ago.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

Can't think of any off the top of my head...

I may have intentionally forgotten them...

May have to edit this if something returns to memory...

I don't watch TV.....:;,;:

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

Nothing is ever really on the Not Again list for me, because I eventually I forget that it's on the list and try it again, and then afterwards remember why it's on the List when it wreaks havoc on me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Ooohh boy.  There was the eggplant parsnip curry that destroyed my wok in college. The childhood attempt at a 1950s Vienna bread recipe that came out hard as a rock, literally. The crust was an inch thick, and I think we might have taken a hammer to it.   The peanut butter, almond milk, chia seed pudding was gross and curdle-y. A kiddie cookbook borscht made from canned beets for a high school project on Russia was just a nope all around, though we got an A. 

And there was that time three year old me instructed the babysitter on how to make popcorn and we nearly burned down the house.  (Hint one: don't listen to three year olds. Hint two: don't pour a stick of melted butter into a hot air popper.) 

Used to watch cooking shows all the time.  Frugal gourmet and Justin Wilson as a kid, iron chef original and good eats later. Chopped, top Chef, iron chef America, and cutthroat kitchen for a time with mom.  The competitive shows got kinda ugly after awhile so I stopped.  Don't watch much TV now.  For awhile dad and I would catch parts of the great British bakeoff on PBS, but it seems to have gone away.  I have seen all three of Alton Brown's live theatre shows, however. 

• Like 9