Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Q: 24-25 AUG

Food—Cooking

What is a dish that you have decided is One and Done? (You made it or ordered it; ate it and then put it on your not again list.)

Do you watch any Cooking Shows? which one(s)?

Too long a list (just ask my wife).  She had me try Broccoli, Chalifour, Chickpeas and lots of other non-foods.  My taste buds are corn, green beans, carrots, lettuce and beans.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

What is a dish that you have decided is One and Done? (You made it or ordered it; ate it and then put it on your not again list.)

Fried okra. I didn't eat it, I spat it out, much to the amusement of my friends. Not just a no, but a hell no. 

I used to watch cooking shows back when they were about cooking, and not travel, or competitions, or stroking someone's ego.  Now we don't have TV so I don't know what's currently on.  However, Alton Brown/Good Eats is not only good watching but good cooking, and you can find it on the internet. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

Wasn't one and done, but I have tried to learn to eat liver several times as an adult, just can't handle the stuff.

And yup, we like cooking shows here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

What is a dish that you have decided is One and Done? (You made it or ordered it; ate it and then put it on your not again list.

Probably oysters. When tried it several years ago, I didn't hate it. "It tastes like the sea" is what many people told me, and they were right. However, now that I did try it, I didn't see the appeal of it all.

With all the hype surrounding oysters, it was much more of a "That's it?" disappointed sentiment than anything else.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Nope. Outside of a few curiosities while channel surfing, I never really did.

If I'm curious about a recipe, I may scour the web for decent tutorials, but nothing else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

I have a number of cookbooks and have made quite a few recipes that were ok to try once, but not worth making again.  But I don't do a very good job keeping track of them, so I'll probably make some of them again.

I used to watch a few of the PBS cooking shows, but now it is very infrequent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

Canned tuna. I just... can't.

Currently watch MasterChef if that counts as a cooking show. Otherwise I watch way too many, probably. Too many to list off hand...

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

Cooked zucchini with a dill and sour cream sauce. Served to me once on a date at her house (she cooked, meal plan was unknown to me); I managed to get two whole pieces down out of politeness. I like zucchini, but a no to dill and sour cream.

I'll watch cooking shows if someone else has it on, but I don't go out of my way to watch them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

I made this odd meatloaf out of the Skyrim cookbook my kids bought when they were in HS. Norker Loaf or something.  It was supposed to be some sort of sea creature anyway (I don' play Skyrim). Anyway, I suppose to get the "taste of the sea", the recipe included canned oysters.  The foul concoction was one of the few things I have ever spit out and not eaten.  I eat almost anything, but that was a waste of a pound of hamburger. 

Yes, I like a lot of cooking shows when I can get them.  My favorite is Chopped as I have learned a ton about techniques and the thought process behind what it takes to make a good dish. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

This a pretty rare occurrence ; there's not much I won't eat or at least try. We tend to do the opposite; we mark the pages of favorites in the cookbook.

No.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I made this odd meatloaf out of the Skyrim cookbook my kids bought when they were in HS. Norker Loaf or something.  It was supposed to be some sort of sea creature anyway (I don' play Skyrim). Anyway, I suppose to get the "taste of the sea", the recipe included canned oysters.  The foul concoction was one of the few things I have ever spit out and not eaten.  I eat almost anything, but that was a waste of a pound of hamburger. 

Yes, I like a lot of cooking shows when I can get them.  My favorite is Chopped as I have learned a ton about techniques and the thought process behind what it takes to make a good dish. 

Well there's your problem. It's Horker Stew, you're supposed to use ground walrus.

image.thumb.png.7c8b85430032cc452c31afd60fe5aa1c.png

• Haha 10

On 8/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, TGP said:

Q: 23 AUG

The Shelf of Shame

What is your definition of this phrase?  Have you noticed other people defining it differently from the way you do?

Don't really have a shelf of shame. I've got a box of I'll get back to it someday, but like others have said there's no shame involved in it. 

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

I tried squid one time and just did not like it. Doubt I'll be trying it again in this lifetime. There's plenty of cooking mishaps that have occurred in our kitchen over the years like the time my wife confused the jar of couscous with the jar of cut oats and we ended up with Italian flavored oatmeal as a side for dinner. Or the time I grabbed the cinnamon off of the spice rack instead of what I actually needed and ended up with cinnamon flavored meatloaf. Seriously hope that those accidents only happen once. 

We watch the British Baking Show - or whatever it's called. But that's more of a baking competition than a cooking show. Still get the occasional new idea to try out though. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

There are many things I've tasted but would never order, or order again.  I don't like shellfish and dill, which makes a lot of seafood places a pass in this area, since if it doesn't have shellfish in it, then seem to want to include dill.
As far as making, I generally make very tried and true things, so no.  My wife is the one who experiments while cooking.  There are a number of dishes she's tried that sounded better than they ate, so usually don't get tried again.

We've watched lots of cooking shows, and cooking competition shows. But currently aren't watching any.
Another plug for Good Eats!, just an awesome show.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

I tried canned Lasagna recently. I like Lasagna. I figured how bad could it be?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9ascSrfDFPn-VVTynf-e

It was edible. But it made the One and Done list.  :mellow:  Imma gonna try other things. 

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I like America’s Test Kitchen and Cook’s Country.

Posh Nosh is always good for a ::D:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

I made a pretty terrible Chinese Chicken Curry the other day (It all went a bit rubbery), gotta stick to making stuff from scratch and not use pre-made shortcuts.

I don't watch much in the way of cooking shows.

I used to be a big fan of Masterchef Australia, but then they changed the judges and I didn't like the new ones, so all I have left is The Great British Bake Off.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:12 PM, TGP said:

Food—Cooking

There are a few dishes that I would not revisit. We have gotten in the habit of ordering out several times a week from a variety of places; SO I have been sampling things & going on to new experience rather than revisiting.

I used to watch Two Fat Ladies. The dishes they prepared, especially their desserts, were so rich looking that I felt I was gaining weight just looking at them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1