Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

On 8/26/2022 at 3:29 PM, TGP said:

Q: 26 AUG

Do you catch any of Reaper’s Twitch TV shows? (How many?)

I have the opportunity right now to see Anne's show once or twice a week when I'm working from my home office. Though normally when I can tune in I'm also working at the same time so may not be paying very close attention. Used to watch the Thursday evening show, but have been too busy to actually watch it for a while now.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:50 PM, TGP said:

Weekend Quest(ion)

27–28 AUG

What is the oldest figure on your display shelf?

Can you get us pix?

The oldest thing on display anywhere around the house isn't very old at all. At the beginning of a new year I pack up and catalog all of the previous year's minis and get the display area cleared off for the coming year's worth of paint jobs. The oldest painted mini in my collection is probably a Ral Partha light chariot with the horses and drivers. I think it's from 1979 and was likely painted by me somewhere in the early 80's. It's in storage so no pictures. I've got some older unpainted minis but they're buried somewhere.

On 8/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, ManvsMini said:

I don't have a display shelf, finished minis get a magnet on the base and put into totes for painted minis. Oldest sculpt is probably a triceratops from Ironwind Metals, might be an old Ral Partha. An older pic I already had uploaded. He's pretty big, about 4 3/4" from tail to head. Theoretically I could get a better pic, but that requires moving boxes and totes, and frankly I'm not going to risk setting my wrist healing back.

iwd-tric-02.thumb.jpg.7f5246514b82cdf9e0f4a032a23895b7.jpg

iwd-tric-01.thumb.jpg.c7fa9cb73ddd7a49002eead214e46a5d.jpg

I've got that same little guy primed and ready to go on my "to be painted sometime in the near future" shelf (near future being a completely relative term). I'm planning on painting it up along with the Thunderfoot Behemoth from Reaper as a juvenile of the species. Then the idea is to create a little diorama scene where the pair is being hunted by a bunch raptors. Looks like you may be missing the horns from your specimen there though. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 8

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/26/2022 at 3:29 PM, TGP said:

If I remember to watch them while they're on:

• Crow's Nest
  • Reaper Live
  • Reaper Land
  • Reaper Errant
  • House of Vex

All in all, the evening after work hours shows.

I don't watch them religiously, but do watch them live more often than not if I don't have any other activities (movie night, game night, office party).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

I've got that same little guy primed and ready to go on my "to be painted sometime in the near future" shelf (near future being a completely relative term). I'm planning on painting it up along with the Thunderfoot Behemoth from Reaper as a juvenile of the species. Then the idea is to create a little diorama scene where the pair is being hunted by a bunch raptors. Looks like you may be missing the horns from your specimen there though. 

I've got them in a separate baggy, they're just not shown in that picture. 😉 That was a find in the metal pile from the Ironwind Metals booth at an Origins 12 years ago, they kept the horns separately bagged behind the booth and handed them to me at check-out.

• Like 6

On 8/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, TGP said:

Nope. Everything is always at the wrong times for me to watch anything.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, TGP said:

Weekend Quest(ion)

27–28 AUG

What is the oldest figure on your display shelf?

Can you get us pix?

Oldest I have painted are probably late 90s stuff (Clan War, Chronopia, VOID, Blood Bowl, etc.  I don't really remember which came first in my minis painting anymore).

I have some older figs, in boxes, somewhere. Should dig them out an see if anyone wants them, since I'll never get around to them.  Got them from fund raiser auction they did for Jolly and Barb Blackburn.

No pics, I have a pile of stuff in front of my shelves at the moment (never ending reorganization of my study in progress.....)

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

29th question?

I izzz having a Monday…

1 minute ago, knarthex said:

Quaestor's question:

What do you consider your best individual piece to date?

This will work. I’ll get it formatted someway how or another. 

Y’all feel free to link show off threads or post pix in this thread when answering. It is really easy to grab a picture already posted in a Show-Off thread and repost the same one here, just so ya know. 

I think the best work I have done to date isn’t finished yet. It is the Heavy Armor Ogre-size M-Crown Golem. I will think about getting a better picture of it. 

Just waiting 620 seconds to post this, so it winds up separate from the formatted question. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Backstop Question (from Knarthex)

29 AUG

I could argue it's my Queen of Hell even though she isn't finished yet (I know, I know, started her like two years ago, lol), or my Skaven Warlord... 

But I'll instead go with my Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition that I also did the one week goblin challenge on.  Two days of surprise contractors plus using a size 0 brush as your biggest... Yeah, rather proud of that one, even if I'll never do the challenge again... 

DDS2: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83389-whitewulfe-attempted-the-7-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition-picture-heavy/

Skaven Warlord:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82884-skaven-warlord-of-the-unrelenting-tide/

Also fairly proud of my Hassassin Ayyar... 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91699-infinity-hassassin-ayyar/

And also incredibly proud of my Crashed Aquila Lander... 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/95511-crashed-aquila-lander/

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TGP said:

29 AUG

I'm pretty happy with this guy:

image.png.ff8c4ee92d367e2d0b45f71b9ffd6b90.png

There are a lot more pictures here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82769-warduke-finished-and-pic-heavy/#comment-1756436  in case anyone is interested. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, knarthex said:

Quaestor's question:

to answer my own question, it would have to be my rendition of Jakob Knochengard...

image.png.118f9423123602d5ba0a49eb1bf94441.png

Showoff

Second choice would be Tahkisis human Avatar

image.png.848909c08723b3100ba337eec7428504.png

Showoff

Third choice: The Ranger Josey Wales (DSM Male Ranger (7403))

image.png.86724ff97312e107639aab89f9b9bdef.png

Showoff

All 3 of these minis really brought out the best in me....

• Like 10

5 hours ago, TGP said:

29 AUG

As a group, I have to say my Ultramarines infiltrators. The contrast paints worked well and were very quick (for me) to do, and out of all of them I would say the smoke grenade turned out best.

20210330_111950.thumb.jpg.873406fe0b52210531e066d38e62123c.jpg

20201007_202940.thumb.jpg.9fff47709eb4af9df7119946a27f22fa.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1