Abhorrent August, Daily Question Thread for Aug-2022

TGP

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Q: 8 AUG

What is your top-favorite-preferred musical instrument ?

(After answering, please indicate whether you mean to play yourself or to listen to.)

I don't have a musical bone in my body...

Electric guitar ftw!🕷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TGP said:

(After answering, please indicate whether you mean to play yourself or to listen to.)

The Oboe.  It has a very wide range of expression to it, from calm and soothing, to eery and spooky, and can even get rather aggressive... 

I miss playing it.  I'd love to get one again once we have a house, because it was a joy to play, although I'm not sure how well I could play it with all the injuries my wrists have sustained over the years. 

As for listening?  I'll go with flute.  Take your pick whether it's the "standard" one within classical music, an open hole one, or a variety of tin or wood flute.  Put them in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and it's an amazingly expressive instrument.  When we get a house I also want to pick up a flute, although I'm uncertain if I'll go with the style I used to play, an Irish one, or a Japanese one... 

Barring all that, I really did love the sound demos for the Analogue Solutions Tereshkova or pretty much any Polivoks based synthesizer.  Korg's MS20 also fits in here, but I don't love it as much as the two previously mentioned ones.  If I do get back into modular synths, I am so buying an Erica Synths Black Ssytem, since a lot of what they've done has involved the creator of the Polivoks, and their systems seem to focus on playability over cramming as much as they can into as few HP as possible like many eurorack companies seem to focus on, which is great because sadly it seems my beloved dotcom company is going to go poof (Synthesizers dot Com, a division of Arrick Robotics) who does some lovely 5U MU modular synths, which makes two companies to effectively die in the past ten years (I also count Modcan in this, because Bruce's health problems have made it very difficult to keep the company going) 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I like violins. I always wanted to learn to play one but didn't, I can't play any instrument.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't know how to play anything (can't sing, either).

I'll go with drums. Accompanied by electric guitar or 2, and a bass guitar.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

When I was young & could hear, I played folk guitar Guitar & five string banjo are my favorite instruments.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Guitar, to listen to (Dulcimer to play)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

If I could only listen to one instrument it would be the soft mellow sounds of a Spanish guitar. 

You don't want to hear me try to play one. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, TGP said:

By myself, the human voice, ergo singing. A cappella can emulate the feeling of so many others.

For the universality of being a favourite among composers; being a centrepiece as the main instrument or the one that accompanies; and the multitude of simultaneous chords possible, the piano (most keyboard instruments really.)

That being said, I don't really listen to much instrumental music, no matter what instrument is featured.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

For listening, the cello is my favorite. I like the mellow instruments in that tonal range.

I've been playing the guitar since 84 and the bass since 85 and I'm pretty split between the two, as they're very different. I don't play much electric guitar these days and even my acoustic playing has waned quite a bit from where I was 10 years ago (I was working on a classical/renaissance solo guitar album). I have a nice Spanish nylon stringed guitar that I use for pretty much everything, once I jammed with Stephane Wrembel playing manouche (Parisian-style gypsy jazz) which is traditionally played with a flatpick on a steel-stringed jazz acoustic. I think he just liked that I brought a classical guitar to the jam and played some pretty difficult stuff with my fingers. It's a beautiful sounding (and looking) instrument, just hearing noted ring out is pure joy.

Most of my jam time the past few years has been on bass, using a pc 'game' called Rocksmith. Basically guitar hero but with real guitars. I split my bass' signal path, send one side to the pc for note recognition and the other side to a small amp. I even have a software mod that controls a pitch shift pedal over MIDI to change my tunings (so I can play all those metal tunes in D Standard without retuning the entire instrument!). I load up the game with roughly 2,000 songs and off I go, 6-8 hours a week. Anything less and I lose the ability to play more demanding stuff, and even those hours aren't enough to keep me in full playing capacity (it keeps me at 60% of my full ability, but to get to 100% I need to be putting in those hours /daily/, because I used to stay at that level back in the day).

But really, I'm a frustrated drummer with poor limb independence that keeps me from being great, though I can rip out a funk groove just fine but I'm always limited to the point of frustration. Still I've been invited to play drums for many bands over the years 😄 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, TGP said:

Q: 6 AUG

Did you guys know it is possible to post this big fat font while using a little mobile screen? It is tricksey (like international datelines) but doable.

(( posting using the mobile ))
Talespinner is the one that began the use of the…

big fat font

…for these questions. And I decided I liked it as well (although at first I didn’t). What can I say? It grew on me. 

If I only ever used a desktop computer the questions would not get posted at anything like regular intervals. I needs my tiny screen. 

And it is so nice when it does what I want.***

Edited by TGP
***Especially when it is designed not to.
  • Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, TGP said:

Q: 7 AUG

Discussion: did you go back and read the new rules? (First Post) Is the GTKY - QotD format perfect as it is? Could it be improved in some way?

If anybody did go back and have a look at Post #1 there is a copy of the rules from August five years ago. 

I have been wondering how long can these threads carry-on? Does the big font bug anyone? Would leaving all questions run for 48hrs be a better idea? Would longer questions be better? or worse? But perhaps I am asking the wrong audience—this has been a bit like asking the choir if it likes to sing. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, TGP said:

It’s very interesting that most of you responded with two instruments when the question merely requested one. Clearly M.E.O.W is winning — your herd instincts are on par with cats.

My answer: Piano/Keyboard 

On 8/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, TGP said:

That would be for playing. Not that I really play piano. It is simply the instrument I would be the least dreadful with if I tried. 

I went with instrument-to-play because there are too many different ones that I like to listen to. 

Violin is not one of them however. Violin concerto is somewhere in my bottom five musical forms. Opera, particularly Soprano Solos, is one notch lower than Violin. 

• Like 6

Q: 9 AUG

Has August been dreadful, abhorrent, and-or oppressively hot for you? If yes, How bad? If not, congrats! (Southern Hemisphere respondents: for you the snickering lamp is ON.)

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, TGP said:

Q: 9 AUG

Has August been dreadful, abhorrent, and-or oppressively hot for you? If yes, How bad? If not, congrats! (Southern Hemisphere respondents: for you the snickering lamp is ON.)

Typical summer weather here, hot. Most of the time temps hover around 100 or more. We did get a hot week a couple weeks ago where the temps stayed constantly around 110. Since then, it's started a cooling trend, if you call 98 cool.

• Like 7