inspiration fantasy clothing colors from plant dyes

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to share links but look up 'Jenny Dean's wild colour' as well.

As I understand it, you could make purple dyeas a saxon/dark ages person, but indigo was really rare. Also red and madder was fairly easy to get to as well. Although presumably colours would fade pretty quickly. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NOLA Chris said:

excellent find!

Thanks for the pic!

I've always worried I'm going too bright with my historic minis

It depends. Even going pretty far back there were also lots of bright colors for people who could afford them. Once you start hitting the 1600-1700s there were some bright colors even for the lower classes.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Brianuk said:

As I understand it, you could make purple dyeas a saxon/dark ages person, but indigo was really rare. Also red and madder was fairly easy to get to as well. Although presumably colours would fade pretty quickly. 

And it would depend on the garment as well.  A linen undershirt which is washed weekly would not be dyed, because it's a waste of time and ingredients.  A shirt, dress or tunic worn over that would be washed occasionally as needed and would fade over time.  A woolen coat or winter outer garment is unlikely to be washed (more likely to be brushed or spot cleaned) and would retain bright colors the longest. 

• Like 4