GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

Glitterwolf

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

What is your favorite building material when building terrain / dioramas?

Not sure about favourite but most used would be foam insulation and 3mm - 1/8" mdf. The mdf sheets for a base and the insulation for a lot of things. I also use fair amount of homemade sculptamold (paper and plaster mix). Since getting the 3D printer I'm using less of these but they're the cheapest and fastest materials for making bigger terrain like hills, walls and such.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

ALL SORTS OF STUFF. Insulation foam is the main thing, but I also use balsa & bass wood, various styrene plastic thingies, aluminum foil, floral wire. air dry clay, AND stuff other folk regard as trash. Making setting for miniatures is a passion with me. It is like designing a theatrical set.

This ^^^^^^ right here. Additionally, there is foamcore, plaster, wood filler, and cardboard. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

I would prefer Styrofoam® but for some reason it is difficult to get and I end up settling for Foamular®.

The first is blue; the second is pink. The first is DOW Chemical; the second is Owens-Corning. 

7 hours ago, malefactus said:

ALL SORTS OF STUFF. Insulation foam is the main thing, but I also use balsa & bass wood, various styrene plastic thingies, aluminum foil, floral wire. air dry clay, AND stuff other folk regard as trash.

My recycling bins are raw material supply zones first; disposal centers second. 

7 hours ago, malefactus said:

Making setting for miniatures is a passion with me. It is like designing a theatrical set.

We never would have guessed.

::D:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

I've never built a diorama.

When I was last playing on a tabletop, I wasn't far enough in to worry about terrain. 

Bu-ut, back in the day, we did more repurposing than actual construction. The Styrofoam blocks that came with your stereo, toner cartridges, or new clock were turned on edge and hit with some paint or markers. 

I have thought about a Glowforge, though. And I KNOW that I could design a lot of things to cut and assemble with that at my disposal. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 1:45 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND CHALLENGE SEPT.16th/18th.

SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR PETS / GIVE THEM A TREAT.

SHOW US PICS OR TELL US ABOUT IT.

FOR THOSE WITHOUT PETS.

FEED THE BIRDS/SQUIRRELS/DUCKS etc..

OR TAKE PICS OF ANIMALS IN NATURE OR ZOO?

Lillers earlier this month, at home before the barley harvest. Milo was there too, but his orange fur blends in remarkably well. 

20220822_102821.jpg

On 9/20/2022 at 12:29 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Septh 20th.

Do you like/have you played campaign games that use different game systems to paly out the campaign?

If you played them, what did you like/dislike about it?

Example: Start in Space with Battlefleet Gothic, the winner invades the homeplanet of the losing side starting with a skirmish game to set up a beach head, followed by a full out 40K battle.

Or a Mordheim Skirmish game being followed by a large WHFB/AOS battle, resulting in a huge war with the Warmaster Game?

Not personally, but I know Monte Cook famously did this in his home Ptolus campaign. The arrival of another moon in the sky brought untold calamity--and the players transitioned from D&D 3.5 to 4. 

On 9/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT. 21st.

Non-Combat Terrain.

For example a peaceful town/a marketplace/silly houses etc etc.

Do you have plans for building any?

Any cool ideas?

What is this non-combat terrain you speak of? As daughter of the Greatest Khans, all terrain is combat terrain! 

I am working on a whole bunch of TT Combat MDF buildings. I suppose hobbit hovels are relatively benign. Unlike gazebos, they haven't been known to attack and devour anyone. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

I like to get plastered. Check out my Sandgrave topic. I also use a lot of MDF, plywood and balsa. I have some plastic GW ruins (nice but expensive). I have some resin Egyptian stuff, not recommended, as it's too fragile and you can get most of the same stuff in sturdy 3D printed goodness. I have quite a bit of 3D printed stuff bought from online vendors. Most of it is nice, some of it has quite a bit of print lines. I have lots of aquarium plants and plastic palm trees, and Woodland Scenics trees. WS stuff makes great armatures, but the foam foliage comes off too easily. There are lots of Christmas bottle brush pines in Middle Earth. 

I do want to do a diorama. I bought "How to Build Egyptian Model Ships" a few years ago, and I want to make one and give it waves and the Bones 5 dolphins leaping alongside it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

How do you feel about digital colouring apps for miniatures?

I need more context. 

…is this a question about GIMP, Photoshop, ZBrush?

Is it possible to buy Space Marines with all their iconography and colors done at the factory?

• Like 5

Just now, TGP said:

I need more context. 

…is this a question about GIMP, Photoshop, ZBrush?

Is it possible to buy Space Marines with all their iconography and colors done at the factory?

What I mean are the colouring apps/programs you can use to "paint" a mini on your PC to see what it looks like then.

For example 3D Coloring Book or the Citadel Colour App.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

How do you feel about digital colouring apps for miniatures?

Worth experimenting with, given this context:

30 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

What I mean are the colouring apps/programs you can use to "paint" a mini on your PC to see what it looks like then.

I don’t have any of those. No xp. So, no strong opinion for or against. 

30 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

For example 3D Coloring Book or the Citadel Colour App.

I don’t have the Citadel thing. Somewhat wary of it, given whose brand it is. 

There’s tons of apps and products out there called “3D Coloring Book” — wasn’t able to locate a miniatures specific one …yet. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1