GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What I mean are the colouring apps/programs you can use to "paint" a mini on your PC to see what it looks like then.

For example 3D Coloring Book or the Citadel Colour App.

Personally I can see how it could help giving a visual of how a mini might look when you want to choose colours.

On the other hand, I've been searching for painted examples of minis for inspiration and when i stumble upon examples "painted" in a 3D coloring book for example, I find them unnatural.

One can't see any painting technique to learn from, it's all very smooth and cartoony due to the digital colouring.

So overall it will be a no from me.

I like to be able to learn from other people's paintjobs, not being given an artwork created digitally which level I can never reach.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

How do you feel about digital colouring apps for miniatures?

Until you mentioned it, I was blissfully unaware that such a thing existed.

I think I will just stick with my imagination & sense of color...bizarre as that may be.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I think that they're good when you want to visualize a colour scheme, but it's most fun when you press a button and it randomly chooses all the paints for you. Currently have Impcat, though I don't use it much at the moment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

They can be useful tools to help decide things like colour schemes, especially if you aren't able to readily visualize things in your mind (or can't with that particular mini, etc).  I see no harm in making use of a tool, especially if it's for things like keeping track of a whole army where you're wanting to keep things reasonably similar between all the models. 

What I don't like is the current trend of digitally painting things and then using such as the painted example (see Nolzurs minis as example).  If you're going to show a mini as painted, please actually have it painted in the physical realm, because the painted example is supposed to show people what can be done or replicated in the real world.

Renders are fine if you explicitly state they're such, but I really don't like how some will use digital methods and then mislead as them being actually painted. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I've never used them (expect for the colouring process in HeroForge, I used that to make my new avatar for my VTT game) but if they help people, I have no issues with them.

I don't see a need for me to use one either though.  Especially on a phone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

Never even looked at one. I can see where they might be helpful but have no interest myself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

No strong feelings. I've only ever tried it with GIMP, and not even that much.

Useful to get a general idea of a color scheme, but I won't pay for it unless it already comes as an option.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

No feelings one way or another. Not really for me though. Part of my fun is imagining up some sort of color scheme in my head and trying to make it a reality. Don't always succeed, but have fun doing it that way regardless. Also, my hobby area is a screen free zone and it seems I'd have to change that if I wanted to paint from a coloring program. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I've actually started using an art app to test out color schemes when I am very stuck. It's pretty helpful for me when I can remember how the app works and realize it is user error instead of just the app not working.

Not the best picture of my tablet but this is what I'm working on.

20220922_190300.thumb.jpg.8d7bd511f0e8f4b3308494e1900c1210.jpg

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I like the concept, but not the time and effort required to get them going.

When I first started rebuilding my Genestealer Cult I looked around at some of the options and just eventually decided it wasn't going to be worth the effort for the benefit I would receive. 

I looked at impcat(?) and decided against it.

I downloaded the GW one,  then uninstalled it a few minutes later. I don't want to paint only in GW Approved colors and schemes, so their app didn't seem to have much value.  And their organization and availability of non- space marine options were awful as well.  I would swear they actively hate their customers and regularly and deliberately look for ways to make the customer experience worse. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

When preparing to download a STL from Heroforge, i like it because it does give me ideas of how it will look when done.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 1:47 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION SEPT. 21st.

Non-Combat Terrain.

For example a peaceful town/a marketplace/silly houses etc etc.

Do you have plans for building any?

Any cool ideas?

I plan to 3D print some...

On 9/22/2022 at 6:50 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

What is your favorite building material when building terrain / dioramas?

3D printed.

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I've tried it.  It was ok I guess.  They can let you quickly try out color combos you might not have otherwise thought of, but I still prefer to see it in hand. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION SEPT 23th.

I love the Citadel colour app, I use it all the time. Lately I've been looking at team colours and using those for my armies. Just look at the jersey to see how it all comes together. My Lucid Eye amazons are going to get the Edmonton Oilers treatment, dark blue and orange with some grey and bronze. They're metal, so if I don't like the finished product, it's into the pickle jar of shame. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2