GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

Glitterwolf

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a list (a number of them, actually) of all the TSR minis, Ral Partha 11-XXX Official AD&D 2nd Edition minis and Heartbreaker Magic: the Gathering minis I have as well as all the RP, Grenadier and TSR box sets that I've collected.

Other than the stuff above (that I actually collect), no. I don't keep track of the stuff I have lying around that I bought just to paint. That would be too depressing, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION Sept 24th /25th,

Do you keep track of your minis/paint collection?

Share your methods.

Way back when, I vaguely recall keeping lists of minis I had or wanted...more orders of battle than lists actually.  Somewhere along the line I stopped doing that. The result is I only have an tenuous notion of what I have on hand, painted or unpainted. There are whole armies that I had at one time & now don't recall what became of them.

The up side is that, sans the lists, I keep finding thingies I had forgotten I painted & unpainted pieces I didn't know I had. It's like running into an old friend.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I originally had one big Excel sheet of all my minis but that was too unwieldy, so I now have several:-

There's a Reaper one, a Guild Ball one, a Kingdom Death one, a Twisted one and a Miscellaneous one (This one now has a load of Malifaux minis on it now, so I've got split them off into their own sheet, one day...). Each mini gets a number (Originally, the plan was for me to use a random number generator to pick what minis I'd work on, it failed), a name, a short description and a status (Unassembled, assembled, part-painted or finished).

Games Workshop gets a whole 3 sheets by themselves:- Miscellaneous, Cursed City (Now that it doesn't look like this category is going to get any bigger, I'm going to roll them into the Misc sheet, again one day...) and Underworlds (This sheet ended up horribly complicated. It's got a space for a number, a name, a description, a team name, race, faction, what category I used on the fantasy name generator website for their name and a status. There's also a separate Word document where I write their backstories.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I keep spreadsheet records that I update  progress towards finishing the core sets from reaper  63/152 currently on bones 5.
I also track the KS add-ons and expansions I buy,  but don't update them as regularly as I paint them.
The only time I did a full count was during the pandemic lockdown.  

Also keep a monthly record of everything I paint.
nothing on paints. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Back when all I had was physical minis I did a pretty good job of keeping a spreadsheet.  Patreon has thrown so many files at me that I've lost track.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Do you keep track of your [..snip..] paint collection?

Yes. Yes I do. 

Share your methods.

I used the app from Courageous Octopus. “paintRack”

This is how I know I have six bottles of BCA Pink. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Paints? Nope

Minis? Battletech and CAV, yes, just a written out list, I need to put it on a spreadsheet someday. Sounds like a good project for Winter.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Yes. 

My method is quite simple: I just remember what I have. Just like a Dragon, I am 100% fully aware of the value and contents of my hoard, right down to the last giant rat.

This method is wonderfully easy, and works great. I have never bought a second (or third...) copy of anything I own.

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Sort of. I have the paint track app and most of my paints are scanned in it. It was really useful while massively expanding my paint collection but now I don't look at it much. For minis I have multiple sheets of paper listing what is in all of my completed armies, etc and to do lists to finish them. For the unpainted hordes not so much. They are sorted into boxes according to type but other than that not really kept track of. I have a rough idea of what's there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Kind of?

I starting using the PaintRack app several years ago and over 90% of my paints are logged in there. Haven't updated in a while, particularly with the new RCon swag paints and a bunch of sample bottles.

For the minis, I started photo cataloguing my Kickstarter minis with Bones 4 and other collections. Easier if I can copy/paste pictures from the KS campaign pages themselves. But a ton of them are remain unclassified.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I have used the best of the apps, paintRack, mostly so that i could start avoiding getting multiples of the same colour. It lets you scan the barcode and/or manually input your paint from a couple dozen manufacturers, and they've always improved it. My scanning has fallen by the wayside so I'll have to inventory them again at some point. I also use the Citadel Colour app to keep track of GW paints.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

For paint, I use PaintRack, although some of my paints aren't in their database, specifically Gamblin oils.  I hope they'll be added soon though, since they have brought in Winsor & Newton's Wintons...  I'm usually pretty good about making sure to add paints in when they arrive.

As for the minis, I always wanted to do such, so I eventually wound up making a Google Sheet.  Still has a lot to be added in, but the initial steps were for keeping an eye on which resin kits, resin conversions, and model kits I happened to have, and then I've been slowly and steadily working through adding in the Infinity and Reaper Mini purchases.  I even colour coded their status, to see at a glance progress from ordered, to received and on the shelf of infinite inspiration and possibilities, started, finishing touches, and finished (I don't consider something finished until it's painted, gotten waterslides if applicable, weathered (if applicable), sealed, and pics taken of it)

387820419_WhiteWulfesStashofStuff.thumb.jpg.94e8221ca17d8c2ad3942716a2a7acad.jpg

Still working on the name, although I'm tempted to rename it to "Stash of Stuff" because then I could playfully call it "WhiteWulfe's SoS"!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2