GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION Sept 24th /25th,

Do you keep track of your minis/paint collection?

Share your methods.

I do not keep track of my paints, I'm aware of the colours I have.

Minis, I no longer keep track of my physical minis, I'm also pretty good in remembering which ones I have.

3d files for minis and terrain, I do keep an excell file for those having sorted sets etc into categories.

Categories like undead, Jungle Dwellers, Ocean Dwellers, Desert Dwellers etc.

I also keep track of the ones I painted in an Excell file.

• Like 12

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I just this week started scanning bottles for the Paint Track app - generally I rely on racks, sku# order and memory to keep track of paints.  I'm hoping Paint Track will help me overcome the laziness aspect of picking colors based on what I can reach...  

We try to keep all of our minis inside of our house, sometimes in smaller boxes and sometimes in smaller boxes still.  We are not always successful, but we're quite methodical at bringing them into the house.  Occasionally some of them will get out of their boxes and roll around in the paints.  They get put on a shelf so that we can keep an eye on them.

-t

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I like to be organized.  I'm just not very good at it......

I had a spreadsheet of minis, back in the day. But then someone invented Kickstarter.  It is now out of date by thousands of minis.

My paint spreadsheet is in somewhat better order.  Although while trying to regain control of my paint room from the clutter, I did find "a couple" of paints that haven't been cataloged yet....

20220924_IMG_0244.JPG.54291ca8b6e7de75a489b2e7a588283c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I don't keep track of paints, but they're all organized on my hobby table and it's easy to know what I have. I don't keep track of unpainted miniatures. But I also don't buy a lot of miniatures at retail. Mostly I just get a bunch of kickstarters, so there's not a lot issues with ending up with duplicate minis. I do keep track of my painted minis by photographing each one and keeping it in a file of all the minis I've painted for the year. That's not necessarily to prevent me from painting anything twice though, more so I can look back and easily pick some minis for any upcoming game sessions. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Yes, I do.

I use the app PaintRack for paints. And for minis I have a ridiculous spreadsheet that I am currently working on restarting because the old one is riddled with holes and errors.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

I try to manage the chaos and mayhem into something resembling "oh,  hang on...I know where that is!"

For paints, that means paintRack!  I'm actually pretty consistent about getting everything entered, but since I don't branch out into many manufacturers like some people do,  it's not as much of the proverbial Bugbear. I just use Reaper and Ceramcoat, but I'm looking at Turbo Dork more and more.  The Reaper paints are stored in ArtBin Super Satchels.  The Ceramcoat in a plastic shoebox. 

Minis, on three other hand,  are a little more difficult.

Minis for specific games aren't too difficult. I keep those in Super Satchels or related boxes if those work for storage. I usually have an inventory spreadsheet that has all the expansions,  the names of the minis,  counts, and whether or not the minis are painted. My 40k stuff also has a price calculation so I can see just how much I'm spending.   Since I've been buying Start Collecting and Combat Patrols it's not too bad (comparatively speaking) but those will not remain effective buys for much longer. 

Minis not for specific games are the actual issue.  I had started a spreadsheet once but it fell by the wayside. The intent was to fully catalog the collection with the details of each figure: race, genre, armor, weapons, equipment,  etc. all while using consistent terminology and descriptive methods.

Yeah,  that didn't last long.

Now I mostly count on memory for the important things. The Bones Kickstarter do not help with that. I try to look at the KS pages from tired to time to refresh my memory on what I've got,  though. And to make things "fun" the non- game specific minis are in a couple large totes/tubs/bins...whatever.  Mostly.  There are a couple purchases from other than Reaper sources mixed in,  and those are easy enough to remember as they're pretty specific to my tastes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I have never bought a second (or third...) copy of anything I own.

Put the copies you've never bought in different boxes - that way you'll only ever find one at a time, and if there's only one then you don't have a second or third one... 

• Haha 9

On 9/22/2022 at 7:50 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 22th.

What is your favorite building material when building terrain / dioramas?

XPS foam. I bought a foam cutter a couple years ago so I need to get my money's worth. It's gotten pricier to buy in my area though. I reserve the right to change my mind once I setup the 3d printer.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

My method is quite simple: I just remember what I have. Just like a Dragon, I am 100% fully aware of the value and contents of my hoard, right down to the last giant rat.

^This. If you aren't aware of what you have in your hoard the minute you step into the room you deserve to be relieved of it by questing murder-hobo PCs.

For paints I do keep a list of what I have bought as I buy the entire range, then delete it once I have everything. Started doing this for my Vallejo Model Color as the names can be really similar.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

A proper Khan knows what's in her hoard. We're not as good as dragons or @Chaoswolf, but we have a good idea. 

Every once in a while, I'll find extra LoTR basic troops that I forgot about. There are piles of extra warriors of Minas Tirith I planned to convert into Black Guard of Barad-Dur which will probably get a new home at paint and take. I have lots of Numenorians that will also likely go this way. The boxes of loose minis are labelled on their sides. I tend to know which unique heroes I have purchased. 

For most of my games, I want/need a certain number of a mini/troop. For instance, Stargrave: the Last Prospector needs 12 space ticks. When I do my Reaper order, I will order 12 copies of the jungle tick bones mini and then know I have enough. The other wargames I play have a requirement that usually works out to the amount sold. Wargods uses unit of 10, which is how they are sold. Even GW is becoming more player-friendly by using the standard number of models in a box or blister when designing the LotR scenarios. 

I don't have the money to impulse buy, so I carefully choose what will make it into the collection. There are lots of proxies, or things that don't quite match their description, especially as I'm trying to save money and stay on theme. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Share your methods.

Kind of. I have notebooks into which I have recorded most purchases from ~1984 forward, but not the last 4 years or so.  Everything purchased prior to 2020 that is unpainted is in labeled tubs.  Painted models are in storage labeled by genre and year, fantasy, western, modern, etc.  

So I can tell you if I bought it before 2020, and may be able to find it if it is not painted.  Specific painted models are a little harder to locate. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I used to keep a spreadsheet of paint, when I was using artist and specialty craft paints only.  The reaper paint collection I started during last year's rcl exploded exponentially and the list was abandoned.  

Minis have some sorting abusing reaper's wishlist feature.  Only one of my half dozen wishlists is for things I actually am interested in buying. I have one for everything unpainted, so I can look at a glance for ideas for rcl or other projects. A second list exist for things currently committed to rcl or modified beyond use for duos, trios, or quarterly contests.   These do not overlap except where multiple copies exist, or the minis were in a multipack. 

Then there are sublists for certain projects, like all the minis that might work in the major Arcana Tarot project, or the Chinese Zodiac.  Unless I'm saving a finished mini for a future diorama piece, things are generally deleted once painted.  

Non reaper minis don't get much sorting. I can check etsy receipts for some idea of the 3d prints, past orders on some websites and Amazon for others. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/24/2022 at 3:52 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Do you keep track of your minis [..snip..] collection?

Share your methods.

Minis. 
That is a different conversation. 

On 9/24/2022 at 5:52 AM, alchemist said:

No, my collection lives wild and free.  Most of the time I have no idea what they are getting up to.

I think your minis might be in League with mine. 

On 9/24/2022 at 5:59 AM, malefactus said:

… I keep finding thingies I had forgotten I painted & unpainted pieces I didn't know I had. It's like running into a old friends.

I like when this happens. And it’s starting to happen more. 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Yes. 

My method is quite simple: I just remember what I have. Just like a Dragon, I am 100% fully aware of the value and contents of my hoard, [.. snip ..]

I used to think I was going to do ^ exactly this. 

Remember every last little thing, and where it is, just like Smaug. 

Now when I can’t find something that I am pretty sure I had, I bellow and curse Just Like Smaug..!

21 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I like to be organized.  I'm just not very good at it......

Sigh. ::(:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

It depends on what you want to call a hobby.  I have an overarching “gaming” hobby at the moment, with board games, RPGs, and miniatures games all getting played most months, if not most weeks.  I generally think of the miniatures and RPGs as a hobby, because they both take prep/creative work outside of the actual playing.  I take lessons in two kinds of dancing (ice and ballroom), so that feels like a hobby.  I have some very idle collections on coins and stamps, not being in a phase of life where collecting is very satisfying as an activity.  

It would probably have to be miniatures if I had to keep only one, because I’ve had SO MUCH history with it since 1971, but my wife would be disappopinted if I gave up ballroom.  But it depends on why; any vision issues could cause me to revive music as a hobby; mobility issues could make dancing difficult.  Living nomadically in an RV or a boat would reduce miniatures to small games with small figures, but that would be possible…

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

27 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

It depends on what you want to call a hobby.  I have an overarching “gaming” hobby at the moment, with board games, RPGs, and miniatures games all getting played most months, if not most weeks.

Well, there's that. Also:

reading

computer gaming

building models (similar, but different enough from painting miniatures, I think)

Again, it would depend on why I'm limited, but I'd probably keep the generic 'gaming' hobby.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1