GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

Glitterwolf

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

A number come to mind that I'm involved with... Gunpla (and customizing gunpla), scale models (aircraft and armour), audio production as well as djing, miniature painting, miniature war gaming, autocross is technically on this list too (despite not having done it for over a decade), and speaking of things I haven't done for a while I did rather enjoy playing the flute and the Oboe.... Then there's the computer gaming and board games... 

So yeah, really depends on how "hobby" is defined, Nd how broad of a categorization is allowed. 

If circumstances were to make me choose just a single hobby I'll tell that djinn no deal, no matter how sexy they may be.  No way am I giving up any particular hobbies and having just one, especially by a set of rules that has an ambiguous definition! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Miniature painting and tabletop RPGs are unsurprising to anyone here. As with most of the classic geek related hobbies. So board games; video games; comic books; anime/manga; sci-fi; fantasy; etc.

Something more specialized is a perpetual interest for LEGOs.

Knife sharpening is an occasional hobby. I have some high-end stones and kitchen knives, and there's something satisfying about achieving arm hair shaving levels of sharpness on something you did yourself.

And occasionally I like to try new cooking techniques or exotic (from North American perspective) recipes. Kimchi being one of them. And an excuse to use my sharp knives. 🔪🔪🔪

As to which one I'd keep... Probably the RPG one. It may be the hardest one to practice due to constant schedule conflicts, but it's generally the most rewarding experience.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

So for normal geeky ones I enjoy there are painting, tabletop miniatures gaming, roleplaying, 3D printing, boardgaming and a bit of model assembly (gunpla and the like).  My others are reading, a bit of autoslalom,  and marshaling race cars and bikes.

We'll ignore reading for this process, since the only way I'd stop doing that would be if I was in a coma.....
In the past, when I took a break from painting, I was down to just roleplaying (and probably some board gaming....).  And that was ok.
If I had to go down to just one, that would likely be the one again, although I don't know what I'd do with all these minis then....  🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

My first career was musician, and that's definitely the one I'd keep as a hobby under those circumstances.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question Sept. 26th.

I am one of those with more than one hobby.

It is hard to imagine a circumstance so dire where only one would be left. 

But I would give up gardening. I am rubbish at it. I have Tried it sporadically. The results have been exceedingly dismal. 

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I don't have any hobbies. It is a way of life...such as it is.

This is a much better outlook on the whole business. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question Sept. 26th.

In addition to miniature painting and such, I'm also into most forms of table top gaming, gardening, brewing alcohol, and occasionally I like to bake. And if circumstances made me keep only one of those I'd likely do whatever I could to change those circumstances. But, if that were not an option, I guess I'd stick with the homebrewing hobby. Not that I really drink much of it these days (or really have the time to brew as much as I used to), but I've made a whole bunch of good friends through our homebrew club that I enjoy spending time with when I can. And if I gave up homebrewing it would likely end up with me not seeing those folks as much, if at all. And that would be pretty sad. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Hmmmm, Miniature painting/gaming, Cowboy Action Shooting/firearms collecting & model railroading.

The one I would keep is the firearms related sports.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

I used to have more hobbies but now I mostly do the overall hobby of gaming. Board, tabletop, computer in many different styles. Only over thing that I'm doing lately is cooking. Not sure if it's a hobby or not as I've always cooked. Kind of like to eat and feed the family. But this year I've really expanded my knowledge and experience with sourdough breads and smoked meats in particular. 

So if I had to pick one it would be gaming. Cooking is for survival and not a hobby. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Apart from the hobbying which brings me to this forum, I enjoy reading, learning languages, learning in general, and lying on the couch petting Labrador retrievers.

Only keeping one, it has to be the Labrador bonding time. Couch time and tail wags with your best friends cannot be replaced. Pretty sure even Shakespeare wrote "A Labrador, a Labrador! My kingdom for a Labrador!" somewhere in a draft of Richard III.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Miniatures is the one that I would keep, because it combines collecting, assembling, painting, basing, playing and printing them. I HAVE BEATEN THE SYSTEM!!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Well, minis are my main hobby...I put that into collecting, painting, converting, and sometimes even playing. 

I also happen to particularly enjoy reading (although I read much less than I used to), building my movie collection, and that's about it.  I used to be pretty focused on Clive Barker and Stephen King, but I really only read Jim Butcher these days.  I did pick up Joe Hill's N0S4A2 (Hill also happens to be King's son).  I used to read comics and collect comics, too.  That got to be too expensive, and I switched (for a time) to picking up compilations/graphic novels.  I haven't picked up anything in a few years, though.  It wasn't a conscious decision, it just sort of tapered off.

I'm already much choosier about the movies I acquire--It's mostly just the latest Marvel or Star Wars flicks lately.  The "gotta catch 'em all" has diminished greatly for the movies/tv shows that I want to watch and rewatch.  I used to pick up lots of things, almost anything that sounded interesting or that I'd seen and enjoyed.  Those days are long gone, though.  Most of what I get now comes in the form of birthday or Christmas gifts.

If I can only keep one, it's going to be the minis.  Minis give the best bang/buck ratio...and I may have a somewhat sizable stockpile of them.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Um.. pants. Hold on, lemme get the list...

So, I paint minis; that covers a reasonable amount of ART (painting, but I also do 2d drawing on paper), with a pencil, or charcoal if I don't care about my hands being black from finger-tips to palms, or chalk-pastels, acrylic or watercolour.. I don't really with oils. Coloured pencils and markers are fun. Digital is only amusing until my wrist says 'no'.

Um. I know how to spin fiber; wool, at least - although in theory, I  know a little bit about flax too - and can do band weaving with cards. It's fun.

I also fly kites, rather enjoy wandering out into the back end of nowhere (provided I have company that can navigate us back out again, because quite frankly, I have the direction-sense of an addled squirrel), and I also like taking pictures of random things I stumble over. Mushies, lichen, birds if they hang around long enough...

I am a gamer - computer, table-top .. board, sometimes - and have been known to turn kleenex boxes into cliff-side towns for the lols (although I haven't done that in years, tbh). 

Oh, I know how to, and enjoy throwing dishes on a wheel. Which, yes, means I can in theory take mud and turn it into cups. In practice, I need access to a lot of equipment and a handful of people who know how to make and maintain some of it... but ceramics is fun. 

I also occasionally go wandering down the cosplay path, although I am at best a poor tailor, I do make jewelry sometimes (not chainmaille, although I think I have most of the tools). 

I also enjoy origami - I've folded paper cranes out of all kinds of things, some of which are not technically paper - and left alone with paper long enough guarantees at least one paper crane for as long as I can still get workable squares of paper. Possibly other things, depending on how I feel about the paper.

... I think that covers most of it... wait, no. I missed one. I also like to bake.

. .. ..... I feel like I'm still forgetting one. Eh... if I remember later, I'll add it. 😜

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Shaky hands can be a nuisance to our hobby, what are your solutions?

if you don't have a problem with this, do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

I built my mini holders to address issues with my hands, which I've posted about before on the painting subforum. The design allows me to steady my hands in a way that doesn't force my wrists to bend at fairly extreme angles. It also lets me use a nice easy grip; the harder I grip, the more likely I am to have a shaky hand.

I've also taken to using a pedestal to elevate the mini so that it is at a height roughly equal to the length from my forearms to my hands; that was more so that I would not slouch and have a straight back, and no neck pain from staring down, but it addresses some shakiness as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1