GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Shaky hands can be a nuisance to our hobby, what are your solutions?

if you don't have a problem with this, do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

My solution for shaky hands is to rest the heels of my hands together.

other than that my biggest problem is decision paralysis when it comes to paint colours and/or which project to work on. I cope with that one by going and playing computer games instead

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Miniatures is the one that I would keep, because it combines collecting, assembling, painting, basing, playing and printing them. I HAVE BEATEN THE SYSTEM!!!!!!!

You say that as a joke, but, practically, I find miniature gaming a very satisfying hobby because of how many aspects it has to it…

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

if you don't have a problem with this, do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

Happily, no shaky hands so far, but my vision is nothing to write home about.  I use an optivisor over my already-short-focal-length reading glasses for serious work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Looks at hand. Holds hands up. Left vibes a little; Right is steady. 

Going with not a problem. Sympathies for anyone that answers yes. 

I have heard (from Anne Foerster, when she streams and paints) that bracing the hands against each other can help. 

…do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

Reading glasses. 2.5 or 3.0, So far. 

I may need to try this:

35 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Happily, no shaky hands so far, but my vision is nothing to write home about.  I use an Optivisor over my already-short-focal-length reading glasses for serious work.

Besides vision I have some other problems, that I don’t have good ways to cope with, that I won’t be sharing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

I'd consider them more interests than hobbies, but I also enjoy reading, watching films/tv shows and cooking.

I'd stick with painting, it's the one that gets the most time and attention.

Question 27th Sept.

Sitting upright and keeping my arms braced as much as possible helps (Elbows on the chair arms, hands touching), but when it's really bad the only solution I've found is to take a break and try again when they've calmed down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Shaky hands.  For me this is due to issues with my neck and shoulder.  So:

• check posture.  He look I'm slouching again.  Straighten up, do a few stretches, and just my lights, etc.
  • check my neck.  This usually involves the classic Bond villain neck cracks
  • shoulder rolls.  Roll shoulders in circles forward until I get a few clunks, then back until I get some more.  Possibly some should lifts too (try to make your shoulders touch your ears)
  • back to painting, make sure I'm upright, elbows in, mini held high, hands touching.
  • If still shaky, I'm done for now, go take a break.

Beyond that I have other issues with neck, back ache from prolonged painting, which I mostly tret with the above steps.  Beyond that, regular massage thereapy and chiro.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

A comfy chair and a desk at the right height help immensely...  As for actual shaky paws, I find coffee helps for me (many report it makes their hand shaker, but for me such clans down)... Other times sometimes you just need to get up from the desk for a bit, walk around, and stretch... 

But yeah, posture and the bracing tricks are probably my main tricks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question 27th Sept.

This works: Place both elbows on your knees/legs. Hold the paint brush in one hand; your right if you are right handed; your left if left handed...doh. The mini in the off hand.

Stablilizing the forearms generally eliminates or lessen hand shaking...other than the friendly gesture type.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Brace elbows on table, place heel of painting hand into palm of the other, have fingers support each other. The closer the points of contact are to the model, the less that shaking will affect your painting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question 27th Sept.

I generally rest my forearms against the edge of the desk when that happens and that seems to help. If I'm doing detail work and I notice a bit of tremor in my hand I'll also rest the mini against something. Luckily, most of my paint jobs can be defined as just slopping paint about, so a little tremor doesn't really affect the outcome all that much. 

I also have an eyesight issue. That I correct with increasingly powerful optivisor lenses as I get older. 

All other issues are the result of lack of artistic talent and/or the fact I occasionally like to drink the homebrew I make while painting. Neither of these are going to get fixed though. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Like most, a hobby holder and proper bracing makes shaky hands a trivial thing.

The hunched over back pain and constantly focusing my eyes on tiny details is tiring. Both are quite manageable. I know the proper stretching exercises, and with proper lighting and my Optivisor my eyes stay happy. However, during ReaperCon, I was away from my regular painting environment, so I felt them.

For other hobbies... If it's group activities, scheduling is the regular PITA with no easy solution.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Like others there are age related difficulties, failing eyesight, unsteady hands, achy joints... For me a few things help:

-- being in a relaxed state of body and mind

-- making sure I've had a meal or snack and blood sugar isn't low

-- if necessary, taking a deep breath, letting it out, and holding that for a few seconds while painting the difficult bit 

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

This works: Place both elbows on your knees/legs. Hold the paint brush in one hand; your right if you are right handed; your left if left handed...doh. The mini in the off hand.

Stablilizing the forearms generally eliminates or lessen hand shaking...other than the friendly gesture type.

I'm not sure I could contort myself like that. 😮

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Like @malefactus said, bracing my forearms, thankfully so far my tri-focals are still taking care of most hobbying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcgyk62cHU

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Luckily, shaky hands isn't much of a concern for me. My eyesight is a much bigger problem.  I wear eyeglasses (since second grade),  and use an optivisor. 

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Michelle Farnsworth opened her “Level Up” class with a focus on posture.  Her take was that you can’t get better if you aren’t making it possible to paint without hurting yourself.  So, keeping both feet on the floor, breathing steady (no holding your breath for the death or glory pupil swipe!) and putting both elbows on the table to make a tripod are all things I’m trying to be better about.  And I find that all three make my hands more steady.  Still, I often cradle the mini in one hand and bring the heels of my hands together for those dreaded eyeball manipulations…

also, I can’t do anything without my optivisor!

On 9/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

Whew!  I think of my job as a hobby that supports my lifestyle.  I’d be happy to let that go!

Outside of the gaming stuff, I like building stuff in my shop, playing guitar, birdwatching, climbing mountains and my koi collection.  I know the body clock is ticking on climbing and koi keeping, so I could imagine those eventually slipping away.  I really can’t imagine being limited to any one thing, and I should be able to age into all the other stuff.  I could never limit myself to one hobby, unless I was knocked into a coma.  Then I’d probably just expand my daydreaming hobby…

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1