GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

When you're under a lot of stress, does painting/hobby in any way, help to relax or can't you paint /hobby when stressed?

I guess I'm fortunate to not have a lot of stress in my daily life or that I'm used to gradually relieve stress throughout the day. Sometimes just being away from the source of stress works for me (like the end of a work day).

Sillier answer: I sharpen my knives. All of my knives! Makes my stress level go down. Curiously, the stress level of anyone near me goes up. Maybe I shouldn't cackle with clenched teeth when I do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

When you're under a lot of stress, does painting/hobby in any way, help to relax or can't you paint /hobby when stressed?

When I was still working, gaming was a huge stress reliever for me, including painting. I also used to go to the gym to workout on a heavy bag.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

It does help relax me. We're under a ridiculous amount of stress around here right now. Family medical issues, work concerns, needed home repairs, you name it we've got it going on. If you've ever had to deal with the Veterans Administration you have an idea of the nightmare we're dealing with for an elderly family member. By the end of the day I'm pretty wrung out from dealing with all of it. Setting aside just a little time in the evening for some hobbying is about the only stress reliever I've got these days.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

Sort of.

If I can get myself to paint it helps, but stress sends my brain straight into "Existence is meaningless" mode so it's hard to get myself to do anything.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

I try to diffuse stress by focusing on other things but it usually doesn't work well. Only fixing whatever is causing the stress really helps but too many times the source of stress is out of my control. I tend to be most productive in my hobbies when I'm relaxed and in a good mood. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

More the latter than the former, although I find getting some painting time in helps with the small stresses.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:34 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Shaky hands can be a nuisance to our hobby, what are your solutions?

if you don't have a problem with this, do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

Paint terrain with no fiddly bits.  It's working great for me this week.  Seriously though, I have a very minor issue with this.  Some basic bracing and creating a repeatable stroke solves most problems.

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

If I'm stressed there is probably something going on, and I'm unlikely to be painting anyway.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

Hobbying helps...Of course, the irony is that when I'm stressed the most, it's also the most difficult time to find the focus/energy to hobby.  I usually just end up playing silly app games which distracts me (for a bit), but doesn't actually do anything to help the stress levels.

Mrs. Strawhat has even commented on it...and IIRC even flat out suggested it was time for me to start painting something again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept. 26th.

Lots of us have more than one hobby, which are those?

And suppose due to circumstances you can only keep one, which one would it be?

• Painting
  • Gaming (table top, board, and video games)
  • Crocheting
  • Paper Quilling
  • 2D Painting
  • Sewing

You can rip all my extra hobbies from my cold, dead, hands.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:34 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Question 27th Sept.

Shaky hands can be a nuisance to our hobby, what are your solutions?

if you don't have a problem with this, do you experience other things that make hobbying more difficult and how do you cope with this?

I try to brace my arms/hands in various ways that I cannot figure out how to describe off hand.

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Sept 28th.

Sometimes it helps. If I am stressed about a project it doesn't help. But for general stress it helps.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION Sept.29th.

do you have plans to paint / build something related to the Season?

Fall/halloween etc..if so what are your plans?

Yes, sort of. Actually, it's already in progress. It's going to be a terrain piece.

It's not really fall themed, more Halloween themed. At least I'd find it fairly creepy to come across while walking around in the woods.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION Sept.29th.

I would like to paint Rotpatch or the Overgourd. 

That is more of a wishlist than a plan. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION Sept.29th.

Not really, but can't resist being tongue and cheek and say yes, I'll be paint a Zaku at some point, because it's always Zaku season! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION Sept.29th.

I don't do Fall, but most everything I make is Halloweeny.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2