GETTING TO KNOW YOU SEPTEMBER 2022 AKA INTERROGATION by GLITTERWOLF!

WEEKEND QUESTION Sept. 2nd / Sept. 4th.

For those of you at Reapercon:

Show pics from the event.

Are you in costume, what is the best costume you have seen there?

Highlights/lows of the Con?

For those not at the Con:

Have you ever build a DM screen yourself from scratch? Or do you prefer factory made?

Or do you decorate it in any way?

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

• Like 6

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Have you ever build a DM screen yourself from scratch? Or do you prefer factory made?

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

Never used them. I like my players to see that the horrible, crushing, PC killing die rolls aren't fudged but are in fact a result of my dice hating every one of my players. DM screens get in the way of that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

I had always used the standard ones given when I DMed D&D 3.5.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

My only experience with DM was with Heroquest...so very lite..

I used the screen that came with the game of course.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, ejala said:

I've MacGyvered gm screens from folders, binders, loose paper folded in half, lunch boxes, and water bottles, separately or in some combination. That count as homemade? 

Add me to the MacGyvered list.

GEM

58 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Never used them. I like my players to see that the horrible, crushing, PC killing die rolls aren't fudged but are in fact a result of my dice hating every one of my players. DM screens get in the way of that. 

But it is so effective in increasing the level of "concern" when the DM starts making serial dice rolls and "writing stuff down" behind that screen.

I've always arranged things so I have the ability as a DM to make "private rolls" behind the screen and "public rolls" off to one side of the screen.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If so, pics?

I built a GM screen about 30 years ago.  Nothing fancy, just a set of plastic document pockets with some strong card inserted for stiffness, and stuck together with tape.  The pockets are open at the top, which means it is customizable for any game simply by slotting in any relevant tables, maps, etc.  Stuff can be put in on both sides, so information or illustrations can be displayed for the players as well.  It's still perfectly functional after all these years, even though I haven't used it for a very long time.

299209746_GMScreen.jpg.2c486a88bcb2156534c058d057fd4ee8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, TGP said:

I remember mine said, “The Griffin Pendrake” or something similar. When did those die??

I noticed a few days ago,  but couldn't say beyond that.   I miss being the assassin of brushes. 

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

I have had several factory made ones. I usually got them for any game I was playing or buying (part of the "gotta catch 'em all" mindset).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

I built a GM screen about 30 years ago.  Nothing fancy, just a set of plastic document pockets with some strong card inserted for stiffness, and stuck together with tape.  The pockets are open at the top, which means it is customizable for any game simply by slotting in any relevant tables, maps, etc.  Stuff can be put in on both sides, so information or illustrations can be displayed for the players as well.  It's still perfectly functional after all these years, even though I haven't used it for a very long time.

299209746_GMScreen.jpg.2c486a88bcb2156534c058d057fd4ee8.jpg

Looks very similar to the one I built...

Pics tonight after work...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

I have used pre-made and made my own.  One problem with many of the  commercial screens have is that the player facing side is just cool art.  In a lot of systems there are charts and tables that are useful to the players as well, so functionally having something on their side is useful. Unless you play at a really big table, or the players have bad eyesight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:55 AM, Glitterwolf said:

What is your reason for not going?

On 9/1/2022 at 5:48 AM, ratsmitglied said:

3) It's there and I'm here

I'm so poor right now I had to sell the last two letters of the word to pay for rent - now I'm just "po"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If so, pics?

( thx to @knarthex)

Never built one, probably wouldn't.  I think I have the Rifts one somewhere, but given that I don't DM/GM/Storytell I don't really see the need for them.  Factory ones can be handy, if they actually provide useful things to the GM, and maybe something nice for the players too. 

Last campaign I was in the GM didn't use a screen, partially due to lack of space.. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

My players would've seen how many times I fudged to not crush their spirits and let everyone enjoy the game. So that cuts both ways, depending on the gm.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2