Painting During the Pandemic 2022: September's Seminal Celebration

I went ahead and posted this a day early since I will be driving out to REAPERCON tomorrow.

The month of August was a total bust for me. I was feeling pressure from trying to force myself to finish miniatures for the convention. I barely did the minimum and I am not happy with what I did paint. So for the month of September I will just do whatever. I am behind on terrain and the annual box. So maybe those. But I am feeling really burned out; and if I dont get anything done, that is ok also.

I hope you guys have lots of motivation and plans for the month of September

buckyball

• Like 6

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been doing. With healthcare collapse locally, and the likelihood of me dying in the next 5 years pretty high, I'd rather spend energy on things i like, like painting.

But there's no way I'll ever get back to my 2018 ish peak. That said. I'm still doing binges every 4 months or so.  I've been setting quarterly minimal goals.

My next one is a city night scene backdrop so I can do a cyberpunk diorama/ show off.

• Like 5

I want to make a ton of goals since I've not done much since it's been a rough year but I know if I do that I'll just burn out.

So two goals for September:

• Aaron the Conjuror (for RCL)
  • Work on old WIP's

And WIP right now is literally anything I've started ever trying not to start anything new. Though I broke the nothing new in the last few days as I started on the Dragon Turtle.

• Like 6

Have nearly finished the second lot of Footsore Miniatures dark age Welsh that I ordered. So I have a nice force for Oathmark, Saga, or Skirmish games. 

I think that the big project I will round out the year with is a Greek themed 'army' including the Bones V Greek Myth expansion. Writing this down publicly will clearly lead to me doing something entirely different. 

I then have some other primed minis on the shelf, from the Crooked Dice Lunar Kickstarter, and I'd like to get those done this month as well. 

• Like 6

So, August was a bust.  I didn’t pick up a brush all month. September is going to be rough, but I do have a business trip coming up which will give me an enforced 3-day weekend, so I intend to take my travel paint kit and enough 1/72 scale plastic fantasy figures to fill out at least a couple of stands …

• Like 6

I got 5-8 done last month. The run-up to the con and some other obligations, plus getting a cold took a lot of my time and energy. 

Going with the flow in another very busy month my only goals are getting my RCL Duo, Trio, and 4+ minis completed. Anything else that gets done is gravy. 

• Like 7

On 9/10/2022 at 4:22 AM, Rob Dean said:

So, August was a bust.  I didn’t pick up a brush all month. September is going to be rough, but I do have a business trip coming up which will give me an enforced 3-day weekend, so I intend to take my travel paint kit and enough 1/72 scale plastic fantasy figures to fill out at least a couple of stands …

So, despite being a theoretically off-duty weekend, I’ve had a couple of hours of work to do Friday and Saturday, and today my primary task is to relocate to another hotel.

Nevertheless, I started with some primed figures on Friday morning, and by yesterday at supper time I had this:

5DD27407-F1D0-4542-9435-8F891F34AC63.thumb.jpeg.97a611979a1d1d0890df4deff7d33787.jpeg

At one point on Friday I decided to walk over to the local game store, so I bought some paint and a small Nolzur’s dragon, which seemed reasonable in size for the 1/72s. By that time I almostt had enough stuff that I could have theoretically played a skirmish game of some sort, so, noticing that there was a Joann’s Fabric and Craft next door to the game store, I wandered in to see what I could find.

I came out with a camo bandanna, some tan cardstock, a plastic plant with the smallest leaves I could find (not very small, alas), a small block of clay, a few cheap larger brushes, and a small pair of scissors.

1ADD3DE7-0138-4435-8BCC-CAE9F9663612.thumb.jpeg.f5b0e80d540bfc2ded785d974b5d4150.jpeg

I collected up a few rocks on the way back.

My elder son looked at this and said “So the scenario is the humans and goblins squabbling over the cows, and then the dragon shows up…” which seems pretty reasonable.  If there is some extra time after the move today, I may throw some dice with Song of Blades and Heroes.  But, in any case, from primer to semi-plausible skirmish in two quiet days.

• Like 7

On 9/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, SparrowMarie said:

I want to make a ton of goals since I've not done much since it's been a rough year but I know if I do that I'll just burn out.

So two goals for September:

• Aaron the Conjuror (for RCL)
  • Work on old WIP's

And WIP right now is literally anything I've started ever trying not to start anything new. Though I broke the nothing new in the last few days as I started on the Dragon Turtle.

I am almost done with the conjuror just a few small details to get together.

I am starting new things because I forgot about the dragon I need to paint for SIL for Xmas. Also, the zombie giant for a secret santa halloween edition.

• Like 7