Reapercon 2023 Excitement Thread!

Corsair

7 hours ago, Count Urlik said:

That sucks.  FWIW, I got my first case of COVID last week.  Today is my first negative test and I waited for that before even coming out of isolation, but I’ll be at risk of a rebound right up until ReaperCon, so I’ll keep testing all the way through.  I just tried to make sure I didn’t get my wife or son sick as well, as that would have left almost no time for them to clear the infection before hitting the road.  The first 6 - 8 days after symptoms are the highest risk for spreading, so you just have to make it through, then try not to pick it up from someone else on the flight down!  (That’s how I got it, but 35hours in the air or layovers from Vietnam to seattle was extra challenging).   We’re resigned to being locked in the hotel room through the con if someone comes up positive.  There’s definitely a new wave of COVID coming through, I just hope people can keep their cool and act responsibly.  Good luck, I hoping we’ll get a chance to meet in person!

The good news for me is that I don't need to worry about spreading or catching anything on the way to ReaperCon, since I am driving there.  And I will leave after lunch and arrive for dinner on Wednesday, so I don't even need to stop to eat.  The way I figure, either I already caught it and I will be sick this weekend, in which case I should be sufficiently recovered to still attend ReaperCon (strongly masked, of course), or I won't get it at all and I will be in the clear by Wednesday.  I've had it before and I am vaccinated, so it should be mild and quick if I get it.  I'm thinking I may wear masks while I'm there anyway, with cases on the rise.  I was masked the whole time last year and it wasn't a big issue.

That is rather impressive avoiding Covid for this long.  I hope you stay well through next week so you don't need to isolate in the hotel room. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ejala said:

I'm actually in Denton Tuesday night- Tuesday morning.  I'm not at the con hotel, but only 10 minutes or so away.  

I also need someone to direct me to a Buccees, as I understand that a pilgrimage is required when visiting Texas. 

Buccee's is easy to find, just get on I35 South & it'll be on the right. I think the road is named after them.

You can't miss it!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

People showing up Tuesday or staying until Monday make me a little jealous.

The only reason we're leaving early is we've broken up the long drive over 2 days.  DH can't handle 9 hours at the wheel any more , he ends up tired and grumpy and that's no way to start vacation.  So, 4 days on the road, 4 days at the con. Whee. 

Got my Tues night hotel conf and the Embassy Suites asking if I want a corner suite upgrade.  Time to start panicking. 

• Like 5

Happy with myself this morning.  Woke a bit early (thou not as early as the alarm was set for), so I could do a couple Con related things before my mom came over so we could our weekly morning outing.

I ended up putting about 80% of paint on a scenery piece I spaced off & I was able to knock the biggest map I had left. I just need to finish the scenery piece (easily done today) & draw out the last 2 maps.

I should have the weekend free from Con prep, not likely, but it would be a nice thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I was wondering about that.  I bought my ticket, but I could not seem to find a location listed anywhere.  So it is definitely at the Embassy Suites?

Yes, it'll be the main ball room. Last year Reaper decided to bring it back to the factory, but they decided to return to the hotel (hence the simple food option for it). Hotel food is decent, but nothing to spectacular.

So earlier, someone mentioned Buccee's, & I posted that they might be on a road with their name (which it is), but I noticed some recent photos from the Denton one, it appears that Halloween merch is now out for them as well. Keep that in mind if you want the beaver in spooky stuff. I may have to pick up a t-shirt now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah, I missed the one at the factory last year because I had something I was doing on wednesday night.  

Food at the Embassy does check all the boxes necessary to be food, and isn't too bad, but it's not memorable.  Upside however is that there's no logistics issue of trying to get people from the hotel to the factory 20 minutes away.  

38 minutes ago, nukesnipe said:

Is there a Wednesday night meet and greet this year?  I can't find anything about it.

there are tickets available (without the large scale sophie) for $25 on the get admission tickets page.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

yeah, I missed the one at the factory last year because I had something I was doing on wednesday night.  

Food at the Embassy does check all the boxes necessary to be food, and isn't too bad, but it's not memorable.  Upside however is that there's no logistics issue of trying to get people from the hotel to the factory 20 minutes away.  

there are tickets available (without the large scale sophie) for $25 on the get admission tickets page.

Note: The MnG is free to attend, the paid ticket is if you want the food they are offering (& before it was cut-off a larger scale RCon Sophie).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T-Minus 4 work nights & my RCon vacation will begin. At least I've got my Witchlight game on Saturday morning to look forward to.

As far as RCON prep, missing scenery piece is done (it was a door), as is a missing familiar (quasit). Entries are done. I actually did 2 this time around, I figured wth. Maps are complete. I do need to go up the USPS office & pick up anther shipping tube, as the one I got today was too small to hold everything. Miniatures are in the process of being put into the other large case. So those will be done as well. I will be doing a inventory on everything of course.

Everything is lookin good on my end so far!

• Like 4