DRAUGR WARRIOR by GLITTERWOLF

Glitterwolf

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's been a rough day for this guy. Great backstory and nice work with the paint job. Since he's freshly-undead, you made a good call not going extremely rusty/worn with the armor. 

My only issue is that the details get a little lost where the edges of the helmet meet the face. I think that a technique like black lining (or something similar) could bring in some added depth/definition here and really set this guy over the top.

I also like the touch of the tiny bits of snow found throughout the body. It really sells the idea of him having just risen from a snowy battlefield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rather than literally painting a thin, black line, there's actually a technique that's a bit easier. In this case, I'd paint the mini's face. Then, paint the helmet black (or, at least, the portions of the helmet that will be touching the face). After that, come in and paint the gold/bronze base color on the helmet like you normally would. The only difference is that you come RIGHT up to that black edge and stop. It'll leave a black border between the helmet and face, give you much more contrast/definition, and be tons easier than traditional black-lining with paint. Make sense? It's a little hard to explain without a visual guide. 

Alternatively, I've heard that black lining with oil washes is pretty simple. I don't have any personal experience with that, though. So I can't say for sure 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Grand Slam said:

Rather than literally painting a thin, black line, there's actually a technique that's a bit easier. In this case, I'd paint the mini's face. Then, paint the helmet black (or, at least, the portions of the helmet that will be touching the face). After that, come in and paint the gold/bronze base color on the helmet like you normally would. The only difference is that you come RIGHT up to that black edge and stop. It'll leave a black border between the helmet and face, give you much more contrast/definition, and be tons easier than traditional black-lining with paint. Make sense? It's a little hard to explain without a visual guide. 

Alternatively, I've heard that black lining with oil washes is pretty simple. I don't have any personal experience with that, though. So I can't say for sure 

Thanks!

I'm calling this one done, will keep this in mind with the next one.

Maybe the copper/bronze is too close to the undead skin tone in the face now.

2 hours ago, Dr Boom said:

Gruesome! He looks like he's spent a long time out in the elements. Good contrast between the rusty armour and the blood.

Thanks!

Lucky for him the Undead don't feel the cold anymore.