Help identifying old Grenadier figure

Count Urlik

Hi all:

I realize there are Facebook groups that do this, but if a man has no face, maybe he avoids the book of dead for another day?

Valor morghulis aside, I'm stumped in identifying this figure. I'm pretty sure it's the first one I bought and painted, which means it was sitting in Len's Hobby Center in Astoria, Oregon around 1979.  It should be an easy ID, but I've gone through a few hundred pages of Grenadier catalogs and can't seem to come up with it.  I can't remember if he came with a sword or a flail, although I'm leaning towards it being a flail.  The stamp on the base may not come through clearly, but I'm pretty sure it's a Grenadier @77 mark.  

I'd love to come up with another one to paint, but that's unlikely to happen unless I can first come up with a catalog number.  Any help would be very much appreciated!  I know there are some ringers out there (looking at you, Mad Jack!) so I'm burning some incense in hope of calling your spirits down to aid me!

Best wishes,

-t

IMG_1762.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a historical, not a fantasy (You can sort of tell by the pose...), so it's a bit out of my wheelhouse, but I'd say it's medieval, possibly Frankish? Gimme a couple minutes...

EDIT: If that is a Grenadier, it's most likely from their small Medieval Chivalry line and although there's no pic of it on the LostMinisWiki page, it's quite possibly M13 Norman Maceman. The style of the chainmail, the helmet and the shield suggest a Norman, anyway.

Best I can do. Somebody else will probably come along to tell me I'm wrong, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, that's great info!  Yeah, the pose is sort of what makes it both confusing and easy.  Confusing in that I can't find it, but easy in that it was clearly different from every single Grenadier mini on lost miniswiki and dnd lead.  I'm pretty sure on Grenadier, here's an image where I've traced out the portions of the stamping that's more obvious in person.

Given that Len was a pretty avid classic wargamer (from my youthful recollections) a historical figure makes a lot of sense.  I think I possibly see him in the medieval chivalry group shot from lost mini - that gets me closer than anything else I've been able to come up with!  Now I guess I'm haunting eBay, etsy and the like.  

-t

1360916182_modbase.thumb.jpg.f25d3e96b60ef3cf0dc163927e8f72d6.jpg

• Like 1