Ral Partha or Iron Wind Metals Captive Princess, Sculpted by Dennis Mize, Second Attempt

72moonglum

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I think the eyes look fine on the pink one. It definitely seems like there are dark lines underneath, but they look natural and just feel like they're the result of real-life shadow/depth in the sculpt. I wouldn't worry about it.

Great job on the rest of the model, too. The skin looks amazing and I'm impressed with how you handled the hair.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Super!

Does she like wolves? Asking for a friend...

She's not above a little lupine action....

31 minutes ago, Grand Slam said:

Honestly I think the eyes look fine on the pink one. It definitely seems like there are dark lines underneath, but they look natural and just feel like they're the result of real-life shadow/depth in the sculpt. I wouldn't worry about it.

Great job on the rest of the model, too. The skin looks amazing and I'm impressed with how you handled the hair.

Thanks, it's probably that eternal search for perfection, which seems to be impossible to attain, and I think  I liked the eyes on the blue gal more than the pink one.  So a bit bummed I didn't quite replicate it.  Oh well, sooner or later I'm sure I'll try again!

• Haha 2

I like blue one better.  You already mentioned the eyes.  But it's not just the thick black line, it's also the expression.  The slightly downcast look of the blue suited the mini better.  It's the placement of her right eye (our left) that made her so.  The pink is also ever so slightly crossed eye.  Not that I would have done better, just making an observation.  I certainly would have left her like that as good enough.  

The transparency of the cloth is also better in the blue.  Then again, I do find blue to be easier to work with for transparency over all.  Only white is better than blue.

The last reason  I like the blue better is purely personal.  I can't do that oriental skin tone well, and you did a superb job on the blue.  So it got a lot more admiration point for that alone.  

Good job on both though.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 4:49 PM, Iridil said:

I like both versions - the new one seems more weary, but both are beautiful!

Thanks Iridil, I think more weary because of those lines under her eyes!

On 9/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I think she looks amazing.

Thank you Chaoswolf!

8 hours ago, Kal said:

I like blue one better.  You already mentioned the eyes.  But it's not just the thick black line, it's also the expression.  The slightly downcast look of the blue suited the mini better.  It's the placement of her right eye (our left) that made her so.  The pink is also ever so slightly crossed eye.  Not that I would have done better, just making an observation.  I certainly would have left her like that as good enough.  

The transparency of the cloth is also better in the blue.  Then again, I do find blue to be easier to work with for transparency over all.  Only white is better than blue.

The last reason  I like the blue better is purely personal.  I can't do that oriental skin tone well, and you did a superb job on the blue.  So it got a lot more admiration point for that alone.  

Good job on both though.  Thanks for sharing.

Yes, whether it is the lines under the eyes or the eyes themselves, I think in that aspect the blue gal turned out better.  

I thought of trying to replicate her exactly with the same blu clothing too, but then later decided not to, and after that, it occurred to me that instead of making her just one color I could do a few related colors.  Transparent and semi transparent clothing is kind of hard, I think it's going to be experimenting on that with the future.
And with an oriental skin tone, I'm really using some colors that Reaper provides, I think if I remember correctly the base was "golden skin", and then washes and highlights!

• Like 1

Your painting style is very unique and inspirational. When I place a giant order to Ral Partha for minis that I don't need or have room for it will be your fault. Really excellent work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loim said:

Your painting style is very unique and inspirational. When I place a giant order to Ral Partha for minis that I don't need or have room for it will be your fault. Really excellent work.

Thanks Loim, Ral Partha, Iron Wind Metals and I thank you kindly!

I'm not actually sure what I do differently than other folks when I paint, but I think it comes a little bit from painting a bit in a vacuum, then finding Reaper on line and then maybe misunderstanding what people do with their washes/glazes.  I think I work a lot with progressively darker washes, but don't just do them very generally and randomly, but rather a bit with a certain purpose, such as my washes pretty much go where I want to.  I usually deepen most of my colors to Walnut Brown or Dark Elf Shadow, two of my favorite colors.   And then with most colors I end up highlighting to white, even though if it's only a very thin layer that it in many cases might not even be noticed. 

• Like 1