All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Doug Sundseth

Basing question - materials to use

Indeed. I do that when it's convenient. Not only do you get a registration mark and key, but the figure looks better when it's not floating above or barely touching the ground. I normally finish mass-sculpting the base, then press the figure into place, remove, and clean up any weirdness. When the basing material sets, I now finish almost the whole base, then attach the figure and paint the figure while it's on the base. Since I use magnets in my bases, I can attach them to painting handles really easily.
  3. Glitterwolf

Party of five for rematch against Kingmaker

Great group! Love those bases!
  4. PaganMegan

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Grump finally dropped of his laptop for repairs. Then left his Fire at home. And my Fire is acting like a polyp.
  5. Glitterwolf

77389 Highland(er) Heroine - quick paint

Great work, love those eyes!
  6. Glitterwolf

One can use many things to make bases. Thin cork sheets, stack pieces till satisfied, glue with PVA, add flock/paint/sand etc,. Use green stuff/milliput/clay and apply a motif with a basing stamp or a roller pin Apply PVA ( Houtlijm) and apply any sort of flock. I even use tea sometimes. Ready made resin bases. Use special effect pastes, like AK Interactive or Vallejo terrain effects, Mud, Lava, Desert etc. If you look at my Lost World Thread, the last few pages I'm building a base for my Komodo Dragon, starting with cork, then Vallejo Desert Sand Paste and more..
  7. Clearman

In some cases, the material that remains on the bottom of the foot/boot can also be used as the "pin", depending on what you are constructing the base out of. Create a divot in the base to glue into. If I'm using any kind of putty, I will press the mini down into the putty before it cures to create a registration mark to glue into. I've had pretty good success with this approach.
  8. Othikent

77389 Highland(er) Heroine - quick paint

Very nicely done! The highlighting is very well done!
  9. paintybeard

Getting To Know You — May 2019

I have occasionally used random floor plan generators... and then so heavily modified them that I might as well have saved myself some time and done the whole thing from scratch.
  10. Doug Sundseth

If you're removing a cast-on base, you really want to pin the feet to the new base. It's really pretty easy. A small drill bit in a pin vise and a piece of a paperclip will do the job. Choose the drill bit to be just a hair larger in diameter than the paperclip wire and drill up through the feet. If you're going to leave the cast base on the figure, then not so much. In that case, I generally build up the base surface to cover at least the edges of the cast base and often the entire base. To build up the base, spackle, dry wall compound, filler (different names for very similar things) can work, as can texture paste (the stuff sold to artists is usually much cheaper per volume than the stuff sold to modelers), and various sorts of epoxy putty. My preference is for epoxy putty -- for bases I usually use either Magic Sculp or Apoxie Sculpt -- which has a reasonable working time and sets very hard indeed.
  11. If it's your first mini's, don't bother. You'll improve quite a bit in a year and wonder why you tried varnishing. Gloss (and metallic paint) is good for shiny effects, tho. I usually protect my miniatures by telling others to hold them by the base, and throwing their characters down a pit if they don't. A pit full of ants.
  12. Clearman

Happy Birthday ChaoticBlues

Happy Birthday!!
  13. Clearman

Happy Birthday edz16

Happy Birthday!!
  14. Clearman

Happy Birthday Mnemonic

Happy Birthday!!
  15. Kangaroorex

Sounds like a good plan for your gaming room @Unruly looking forward to hearing how it turns out. And best of luck with your teeth. I'm currently in search if another dentist. Last one can't handle the issue with my jaw locking and keeps telling me it's my fault.
  16. klarg1

Nuh-uhh! You’re a standard bell swerve!
  17. Final hours, guys! We have 39 unlocked stretch rewards. :) some of the extra goals:
  18. ced1106

And another warning about cork! Rolled sheets are a pain to flatten. Get some sheets instead, or many heavy books. Easier to stack multiple thin sheets than cut thinner thick sheets. Does spraying the cork with water then flattening them with heavy books work?? I paint en masse, so it's fast and cheap for me. : For sand, it's playground sand, unless I want asphalt, then it's fine craft sand. Cheap white glue and craft paints. Monsters get dead static grass. Heroes get spring green. Cheap white glue and paperclip to apply. A tip of glue works. Woodland Scenics has various kits. I've only used the Rock making kit, for the talus stones and plaster for terrain rocks. White glue, then a drop of brown or black wash. Citadel has a Skulls kit, something like a few hundred skulls for $20+. Haven't used it, but it's a good price if you're skull-crazy. Unlike miniatures, it's hard to screw up basing. If a rock is a few mm off, nobody's gonna notice. If a pupil is a few mm off...
  19. TripleH

Happy Birthday Mnemonic

Happy Birthday @Mnemonic! Hope you have a great day.
  20. TripleH

Happy Birthday edz16

Happy Birthday @edz16! Hope you have a great day.
  21. Happy Birthday @ChaoticBlues! Hope you have a great day.
  22. Unruly

Well, no table today. They were out of stock. I've got a raincheck order in for one, though, so in about 2 weeks I should have a table! It's just a shame that I still won't have chairs. The ones I'm looking at getting are about $35 a piece(as much as the table they're going to be used with!) because they're metal folding chairs with about 3 inches of padding on the seat and an inch or so of padding on the back. I'm trying to keep the stuff able to be packed into the space under my stairs when not in use, but still decently comfortable for extended use, so I'm trying to avoid the plain metal folding chairs. Those things are fine if you're sitting for maybe half an hour, but after that the lack of padding starts to suck. Currently sitting at the dentist waiting for the novocaine to kick in in prep for a root canal. Which will be wonderful when it's done, because my lower left jaw will finally stop screaming in pain all the time. But it's also gonna cost me another $400, and max out my dental plan for the year. Oh well, I wasn't planning on doing anything more this year anyway. With all the dental work I need my plan is one crown and one filling per year until it's all fixed. I've got maybe 2 more years of that ahead of me.
  23. Gadgetman!

Check out this thread: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85445-terrain-essentials/ The KS it links to has funded, but it's possible for late backers to get in on the Pledge Manager, still...
  24. Today
  25. buglips*the*goblin

Tryhard.
  1. Load more activity