All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. kristof65

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

I concur - CO's was definitely better than what I experienced in CA. In CA, I ended up sitting in the jury pool room all day, only to finally be sent home later in the day. Or worse, the couple times where I had to call in the night before, only to be told "call in again tomorrow." In CO, the time I got seated on the jury, I knew I was going to be on it by noon. The other time, I was home before lunch, after being dismissed by the prosecutor. Still waiting to see what it's like here in IA. We moved to a relatively small county, so I am expecting that I'll get called more often than I did elsewhere, but two years in, and still no summons. (Hmm...maybe I shouldn't have said that.)
  3. FWIW, here's my take on start to finish, ending in the Matt sealing of recent mini's. As many of you may or may not have seen over in the WIP section (show off coming soon BTW), I did the insane project of doing 30 Mouslings (and Sir Forscale and Mr. Bones 1) in a week and a half for my son's 4th grade class to give out as gifts for his birthday celebration (because I hate giving away cheesy toys that just end up all over someone's house) link here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86269-bones-mouslings-quite-an-assortment/ I basically washed them all in soap and water, airbrush primed with stynlrez, then threw on a basecoat (I ran out of time to get more detailed, cept for Forscale and Bones) before hitting the matt varnish from vallejo on them all. I gave the paint job a few hours till they seemed dry, then put on the varnish straight from the bottle with a size 4 golden taklon brush, and let them dry for about 4-6 hours. They went on cloudy, but were very matte when done and looked good. Not sure if that helped or what you were going for:)
  4. Doug Sundseth

Colorado has a pretty good jury system of "One Trial or One Day" in a calendar year. And you are usually in a specific trial's jury pool or excused by 0900 (assuming that you actually have to report).
  5. Cicciopiu

Ethics of Kickstarter Practices

First of all sorry for my English, as you may see, this is not my first tongue. I think Ethics may be divided in two types: 1: common ethics Example: I'm a tattoo artist. Sometime customer will ask me to get a design made by someone else. Even if it isn't copyrighted I think it is obvious that's no ethic to "steal" someone work and make money of it, without asking the creator the autorization. or If a customer ask me to make a free design for them, without paying for it, promising to get the tattoo done by me, and then they take my own design and get the tattoo done by another artist, I think the common sense tell us this is unethical. 2: personal ethics This is the most common type of ethics, something someone refuse to do cause the action is in contraddiction to is personal morals. I will never, at example, tattoo someone face, until the person have the 80% of the body already tattooed; Will not tattoo yungs hands, until they are tattoo artist or piercer etc. and so on, this is my personal ethics, you may or may not agree with me, but I'll no change my mind. So I think, when a company, steal a design, someone else works, idea etc, to make money of it, unautorized, they are doing unethical.
  6. Glitterwolf

Happy Birthday Brennor

Happy Birthday!
  7. I apologize, I have had a huge headache today and have misread it. Please forget it.
  8. Corsair

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

The felt concussion from music is very similar to what someone shooting a firearm feels. This is why there are two parts to defining the recoil of a gun firing, the physical push from the weight of the bullet being launched and the combined effect of the noise/concussion of the blast.
  9. Crowley

They called 2 big groups before lunch, 1 small group after lunch, and I'm still sitting around... ... ...
  10. Wren

Paint Equivalents

Copper Verdigris looks like almost exactly the same hue as Ghostly Moss, but with a bit more white in it so it's a little lighter in value.
  11. Thanks for the replies. Simply because I like to overengineer, I always give 1 day each between final paint, first gloss seal, second gloss seal, and matte finish (at least 3 days total from last paint to final sealant). I like the lower cost of Bones minis, and maybe the new material will help. Until then, I suppose I can only blaze on and hope I don't have issues.
  12. AuralEntropy

Bones 4 material is great

In Canada. Will check out that site. Thanks.
  13. I would post each single and finished miniature and in the end I would show all together. But really this is your choice. As far as I know here are no rules how someone has to post his/her minis. If it is finished, you can post it of course. For me this is big enough. I comment it later at "Showoff". Edit: Ooops sorry I have missed your last posts. Well then: Good job at Aragorn so far, I see you have painted stronger highlights first time, it looks a bit abrupt as already said at the Bemalforum, but I like that you have tried at least. So: We have progress here. Let`s see how things will develope. @Glitterwolf and SisterMaryNapalm: I really cannot imagine that one of you both really meant it as bad as it sounds. Seems there is a little bit tension in the air today. Best you shake hands and ignore the bad vibes. I see you both have got a different approaches when it comes to giving feedback and I find both ways of giving feedback constructive. This is the main thing which counts. We are all different and so we all have our own way to react onto things and to give feedback, as long as no one gets hurt and as long as feedback is constructive any way of giving feedback is cool. In other forums there is the problem that no one gives feedback at all: This is a problem!
  14. kristof65

Will do. I'll note that I should have said "I've never personally seen". If I haven't seen it, or can't substantiate it, I can't assume it's true. Even if I don't personally like a company. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they're evil.
  15. Sanael

As a former retailer, I have a variety of experiences to contribute to such a conversation. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't alter much about the conversation's tone it themes, though.
  16. Today
  17. Doug Sundseth

I'm not willing to address this here, for a variety of reasons including the propriety of attacking one company on another's website, but talk to me some time over a beer.
  18. redambrosia

I was right! 8lbs 1.8oz. And she has a big head; I don't recall the measurement, but her head is in the 91st percentile (whatever that means) for baby heads. Hopefully, that means she'll be smart. I'll get her a bubble pipe and a monocle to test her smartness
  19. Clearman

And here in lies the problem. Since both ethics and morality require a common definition of right and wrong, it's often the legal bodies that draw the line. And if there are differences in how respective legal bodies define the rule, then they're absolutely going to be dodges, bent, or otherwise creatively interpreted.
  20. kristof65

Let's throw another word into the mix. Manipulative. Over all, marketing in general is manipulative - it is trying to manipulate people into buying things. But there definitely some companies that take this as far as they can. For example, GW's marketing has long focused on the teenage boys. And while it may not still be true, at one point, they were pricing models more on their effectiveness in the game than they were on the cost to produce the model. They were very much attempting to manipulate their target market into spending as much as possible. I have never seen any evidence that GW as a whole was indeed unethical towards their customers, but it was definitely as manipulative as it could be, and I didn't like it one bit. From what little I've looked at of CMON Kickstarters, they appear to be very manipulative as well - they're definitely trying to manipulate people into wanting to buy in for the exclusives. Again, I don't see that as unethical, but it's a manipulation I don't care for. Of course, I grew up with a dad who owned his own advertising agency, and a mom who worked for one of the biggest public relations companies in the country. I probably don't have what one could call a typical exposure to marketing. Ethics are subjective, but are his consistent? I've seen a lot of that, too - it's only unethical if something works against what them, it's fine if it works in their favor, even if it's the basically the same thing.
  21. Xiwo Xerase

Working for a guy named Ratigan? (Which is probably too obvious for a wererat, but, hey, hiding in plain sight? Or, for misdirection, he's not a wererat but something more vicious.)
  22. vhaidra

Summoning A Dragon bust

I just offered my help and my advice and I never said that the bust is ruined. In fact I said quite the opposite. I just said that I don`t recommend to paint an osl over a freehand. I have no problem in seeing you are doing it despite my advice. It`s your choice. I offer my help in a passive way. You can take it or leave it. It is up to you.
  23. Glitterwolf

In search of mystery and mayhem (Aztek figures) PIC heavy!

Well painted, and I love the story!
  24. vhaidra

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

I guess it is allowed here to spontaneously change the topic, because I have recognized this behaviour here before and so I just make a try. Cymatics is a term which describes the art and sience of making frequencies visible. The musicians among you probably know this feeling well, when you stand in front of a huge bass amp/huge speaker and you feel the vibrations all over your body and under your feet. So we can physical feel frequencies if they are loud enough and so the step to make them visible too is not very far. Nigel Stanford did it and he created an amazing video about it. This are no tricks, what you see is real and I think the song is cool too, at least I like it a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oItpVa9fs&t=26s
  25. Doug Sundseth

Getting To Know You — May 2019

A slightly random collection that is more about what comes to mind than any sort of definitive list of favorites: The town in Morrowind that is built into the shell of a dead giant crab-thing The folding backpack in Heinlein's Glory Road Orthanc
  26. SisterMaryNapalm

R.I.P. Niki Lauda

Just watched the Mayday episode of the LaudaAir aircraft that crashed in Thailand, and some time ago I was able to watch RUSH in Germany, where actor Daniel Brühl was cast as Niki Lauda. Ever since I was small, Niki Lauda was somehow in German TV. He was just all around, and as far as I can judge from how I came to know him through his numerous appearances, he had quite a sense of humor. I really love the story where he crashed an interview with an American interviewer. They had asked him to meet them at the place where he had the accident that scarred him. As he found out, they wanted to make it dramatic and emotional, hoped he would cry, so he decided to change the odds and bought himself a piece of bread that looked like an ear and positioned it at the scene before the interview which lead to following scene: 'Mister Lauda, how is it to be here…‘ ‚Just a moment!‘ ‚What are you doing?‘ ‚Oh look, here’s my ear!‘ And that completely crashed the interview
  27. Doug Sundseth

Or someone annoying from England. Assuming those are different things. ETA: It looks like "Chezza" is a nickname in use for both "Cheryl" and "Charles" (which can also be "Chazza").
  1. Load more activity