All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yes I had, see thread about it here. That said I never had problems with paint on varnishes (I use liquitex). So if you are in possession of an airbrush that might be an option.
  3. I just saw Sonnenallee, a 1999 German comedy set before the fall of the Berlin Wall. On a tiny, incredibly bleak and shabby street right up against the Berlin Wall, a high school boy falls in love, dreams of being a Western style rock musician, and deals with the secret police, constant surveillance, smugglers, death and the betrayal of friends. A laff riot, you might say.
  4. vutpakdi

Forumite Classes, 2019

I've got my two Beginner classes again: Step by Step Beginner Miniature Painting (Thursday, 10 AM) Type: Painting Level: Beginner Format: Hands-on Synopsis: So, you’ve found the perfect mini for your PC, and you want to paint it. What are the basic steps of miniature painting so that you can turn out a good tabletop quality mini? In this step by step beginner miniature painting class- students will paint the same miniature at the same time using basic beginner techniques including drybrushing and using washes. A Beginning Painter's Toolkit (Friday, 10 AM) Type: Painting Level: Beginner Format: Hands-on Synopsis: So you found a mini that you want to paint? What do you need besides a brush and paint? What would be helpful? We'll talk about tools for beginning painters including files, primer, brushes, palettes, paint, and varnish. Hands on portions of the class include brush on priming, putting on a base coat, and then making washes with matte medium.
  5. Sirithiliel

77503: Temple dragon x3

Adding three more. these are going to be my demonstration models for my class at ReaperCon, which is going to be about how to paint dragons, and ways to spice up the colors for a traditional dragon or go out of the box entirely One is painted in the 'classic' way of painting a dragon, that is with one solid color for the body, and different colors for the wing membranes and spikes. A look at google or reaper store painted images will show you plenty of dragons painted this way. Second is my way of painting a dragon, which incorporates several shades of color for the body to provide more visual interest. While this does provide more work in having to shade / highlight in different colors, i think the effect is more interesting than the classic way (and judging by the usual feedback on my dragons and the request for me to teach a class, i think others think so too) Third is a 'out of the box' dragon (which is Cabbage), showing how you can do a non-D&D dragon using color combos, and having patterns, or face masks, or 'socks' on the limbs, etc. i kind of think i should have a fourth, showing how you can use a real-life inspiration to paint a dragon, but i'll think about it Lots of pics
  6. Sirithiliel

Of Blacktooths and Thunderfoots

More work on him, re did the spots again.
  7. Sylverthorne

28mm Hard Plastic Fauns

If you did do goattaurs... I suspect a lot of people who play Planescape will want definitely-not-bariaur. ^^;
  8. Fire_Eyes

Speed paints for days!

Another batch of speed paints! Translucent Death Shroud: Merrow: Translucent Labella Demornay: Bones 4 slime: Flesh golem:
  9. NebulousMissy

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Last night was odd. I play an elf. There was a time vortex. Everyone else had shorter lifespans than I. Guess who went. Turns out it's a time prison. The guy and I had a nice conversation about his former master, the lich we killed last game. Still hadn't found the phylactery. In conversation I got the neat little tidbits of ten thousand year old medical myths that let me find the thing (technically we'd already found it, we just knew it as a crystal heart that kept trying to usurp my body for a new host). And then I walked out. There's a reason they sent the elf. I walked in 150 years old, pretty standard for an elf who's seen some broccoli. I walk out barely older than 100 with the worry that nobody's going to take me seriously anymore because I'm "only 100". Then there was the Wish. The lich was a servant of Abraxas in life and spurned his patron in favor of undeath. This made Abraxas mad enough that he contacted up through a planar well or whatever that bottomless abyss of wind and evil was. He demanded the lich's head and heart, in exchange he'd offer us a Wish. I was skeptical, this is Abraxas, but the others took it at face value since we were going to kill the lich anyway. We kill the lich, I have the telltale heart phylactery in my hand, it's still trying to crawl into my chest, and we chuck it and the severed lich head into the planar well. And the other players start debating over the Wish. We only get one as the whole party, it needs to be good. A generic +1 to an ability score isn't going to cut it. I suggest power, magic items, money, the standards. Someone suggests we try to destroy an evil artifact we have. I point out if the gods could destroy this evil artifact they would have already given we know they already tried. Then the cavalier gets an idea. I stay out of this idea. The cavalier and the druid want their animal friends (mount, attack cat) Awakened. Third guy at the table is all for this. It is a ridiculous idea. I have seen worse. And our GM knows this because she turns to me. "Hey you have players who come up with ridiculous ideas, what would you do about this?" Never mind she is one of my usual players So I hash out a thing that lets the animals Awaken but doesn't disqualify them from being animal companions and doesn't overpower them. Also they can no longer talk to animals of their own kind anymore. I'm waiting for the wolf mount to panic when local dogs try to sniff his butt. And the attack cat is writing love poetry to someone's cohort. We are 2 or 3 sessions away from the end of the campaign. The ridiculousness won't last much longer. Then new ridiculousness can begin...
  10. Doug Sundseth

Google Hangouts Chatter thread

I'm in the process of setting up again after yesterday's CMPA paint day. When that's done, I'll check in as well.
  11. SisterMaryNapalm

Will I be able to recognize you after that?
  12. Highlander

ReaperCon 2019 tickets

Once again, I'll be up in the mountains of Colorado the first week of June. So, I'll have to monitor the situation and try to be somewhere where I can get access to register. HST, each time I've been in this situation, actual class registration didn't happen until a couple of weeks after I returned.
  13. buglips*the*goblin

I'll join you in a few minutes. I'm going to try and take off my hobo beard first.
  14. Today
  15. EvilJames

Gencon 2019

Still no speed paints, but I got into the classes I wanted, but failed to get into the PFS Special this year. It filled up very fast. I should have put both Easy mode and Hard mode (not what they actually called them) in my wish list. "Easy" mode filled up first. Also the Kobolds ate my baby Fury Road game sold out well before my queue got below 3000. No frostgrave or Ghost Archipeligo games so far this Gencon either which is odd since they sold out last year.
  16. Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary fame has hit on a couple of financial speedbumps, so he's selling off some original art, a couple of prototype 'Handbrain' GM screens and stuff. (on evilbay) Lots of discounts in the store, too. (If you search you can even find a Schlock mini in there... ) I just filled out my comic book collection a little bit... Well, maybe more than a little bit... (and most of it was NOT discounted. )
  17. Dilvish the Deliverer

ReaperCon 2019 Ribbons

Yes. This. Also, feel free to approach me and I I will have no problem intorducing you to some of the regulars. You will know me by my red "Nerd Vest" covered with pins and patches.
  18. BlazingTornado

Colonel Kane' PbP

So did one of the two Pathfinder games I ended up joining. As well as two Roll20 games a number of years ago.
  19. SisterMaryNapalm

I am now at the hangout. Join me if you like!
  20. Livesay

Reaper Bones 4 Six Wraiths

Before I started I was thinking of colors like this, https://coolors.co/26d300-00eaf2-dc0073-db68ff-ffff00, but I just don't have those and adding white would make them more pastel and not bright. The inspiration is obviously the cairn wraith dungeon dweller, https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/dungeondwellers/latest/07005. If I were to try again I'd see what I could do to get closer to that. Good luck!
  21. buglips*the*goblin

ReaperCon 2019 Ribbons

One thing to note is that if you want to meet new people you have to meet new people. Attendees will naturally cluster in groups of people they know from previous years and that might make you feel like an outsider, but people are generally approachable unless obviously busy (like involved in an rpg game or something). Does anyone remember the name of that guy from Long Island who had the Fiend Folio Iron Maiden shirt? I think it was John? That guy did it right, just came up and jumped in and made friends. I just can't remember his name precisely because I had a lot going on, but I remember everything else and will be keeping an eye out for him this year. If you engage with people and you're a decent sort of hooman being then you'll blend in in no time and by your second con you'll be one of the regulars. As a rule we don't haze any newcomers.
  22. MoebiusStrip

Bones mini turning sticky after a while

Roughly 5-7 days after first application update: Dupli-Color Matte Spraytacky TACKY (B4, G and M), so this was my original culprit. Acetone NOT tacky (B4, G and M), this as part of the propellant is not the reason for tackyness. Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish (28.531) NOT tacky (B4, G and M) Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish MINIMAL tackyness (B4 and M) , seems to be ever so slightly tacky but barely noticable. I would not have noticed had I not other samples to compare. G is NOT tacky at all. So I would say even a single coat of paint would prevent this. Not optimal but very useable. Liquitex Professional Matt Varnish SOME tackyness ( B4, G and M), more than army painter but less than Dupli-Color. Interestingly around here the vallejo is also the cheapest version. Followed by the army painter one. So more expensive seems to mean more tackyness :) The old and new (don't know if there really is a difference) bones material seems to behave exactly the same when it comes to sprays so far. Colors (R, V and AP) showed no furhter ill effects for any spray.
  23. Cicciopiu

Lorna The Huntress - REA02476

Now that you've mentioned it I can't stop seeing it
  24. Wow this thread developes much faster than I can follow it haha. This looks all great so far. I like the painting of the Komodo Dragon and all this cool stuff you have sculpted and also how you painted the base. But as you asked for advice concerning freehands...: You have painted blue fishs with orange stripes, but you put the orange directly over the blue and this doesn`t work well. Light colours put over darker colours should be underlayed with white. First paint white strokes with opaque paints, then paint them over with orange and you will see that the orange stripes will pop out very, very nice. Apart from this I anyway would recommend to paint all this corals, fishs and such in very saturated and bright colours and you reach this best if you prime all in white and by using bright and saturated colours. If you have planed this, pardon me for being rashly. Look at this one for example:
  25. Iridil

Reaper Bones 4 Six Wraiths

I really like the white, red and green ones - nice idea - I think I'll try it on mine and hope the come out half as good as yours!
  26. Iridil

Dr. Helen Matronic - Field Medic

Wonderful paint-job on a beautiful figure! Great job on the face and love the color you choose for her tunic.
  1. Load more activity