All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I would post each single and finished miniature and in the end I would show all together. But really this is your choice. As far as I know here are no rules how someone has to post his/her minis. If it is finished, you can post it of course. For me this is big enough. I comment it later at "Showoff".
  3. kristof65

Ethics of Kickstarter Practices

Will do. I'll note that I should have said "I've never personally seen". If I haven't seen it, or can't substantiate it, I can't assume it's true. Even if I don't personally like a company. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they're evil.
  4. Sanael

As a former retailer, I have a variety of experiences to contribute to such a conversation. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't alter much about the conversation's tone it themes, though.
  5. Doug Sundseth

I'm not willing to address this here, for a variety of reasons including the propriety of attacking one company on another's website, but talk to me some time over a beer.
  6. redambrosia

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

I was right! 8lbs 1.8oz. And she has a big head; I don't recall the measurement, but her head is in the 91st percentile (whatever that means) for baby heads. Hopefully, that means she'll be smart. I'll get her a bubble pipe and a monocle to test her smartness
  7. Clearman

And here in lies the problem. Since both ethics and morality require a common definition of right and wrong, it's often the legal bodies that draw the line. And if there are differences in how respective legal bodies define the rule, then they're absolutely going to be dodges, bent, or otherwise creatively interpreted.
  8. kristof65

Let's throw another word into the mix. Manipulative. Over all, marketing in general is manipulative - it is trying to manipulate people into buying things. But there definitely some companies that take this as far as they can. For example, GW's marketing has long focused on the teenage boys. And while it may not still be true, at one point, they were pricing models more on their effectiveness in the game than they were on the cost to produce the model. They were very much attempting to manipulate their target market into spending as much as possible. I have never seen any evidence that GW as a whole was indeed unethical towards their customers, but it was definitely as manipulative as it could be, and I didn't like it one bit. From what little I've looked at of CMON Kickstarters, they appear to be very manipulative as well - they're definitely trying to manipulate people into wanting to buy in for the exclusives. Again, I don't see that as unethical, but it's a manipulation I don't care for. Of course, I grew up with a dad who owned his own advertising agency, and a mom who worked for one of the biggest public relations companies in the country. I probably don't have what one could call a typical exposure to marketing. Ethics are subjective, but are his consistent? I've seen a lot of that, too - it's only unethical if something works against what them, it's fine if it works in their favor, even if it's the basically the same thing.
  9. Xiwo Xerase

Working for a guy named Ratigan? (Which is probably too obvious for a wererat, but, hey, hiding in plain sight? Or, for misdirection, he's not a wererat but something more vicious.)
  10. vhaidra

Summoning A Dragon bust

I just offered my help and my advice and I never said that the bust is ruined. In fact I said quite the opposite. I just said that I don`t recommend to paint an osl over a freehand. I have no problem in seeing you are doing it despite my advice. It`s your choice. I offer my help in a passive way. You can take it or leave it. It is up to you.
  11. Glitterwolf

In search of mystery and mayhem (Aztek figures) PIC heavy!

Well painted, and I love the story!
  12. vhaidra

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

I guess it is allowed here to spontaneously change the topic, because I have recognized this behaviour here before and so I just make a try. Cymatics is a term which describes the art and sience of making frequencies visible. The musicians among you probably know this feeling well, when you stand in front of a huge bass amp/huge speaker and you feel the vibrations all over your body and under your feet. So we can physical feel frequencies if they are loud enough and so the step to make them visible too is not very far. Nigel Stanford did it and he created an amazing video about it. This are no tricks, what you see is real and I think the song is cool too, at least I like it a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oItpVa9fs&t=26s
  13. Doug Sundseth

Getting To Know You — May 2019

A slightly random collection that is more about what comes to mind than any sort of definitive list of favorites: The town in Morrowind that is built into the shell of a dead giant crab-thing The folding backpack in Heinlein's Glory Road Orthanc
  14. SisterMaryNapalm

R.I.P. Niki Lauda

Just watched the Mayday episode of the LaudaAir aircraft that crashed in Thailand, and some time ago I was able to watch RUSH in Germany, where actor Daniel Brühl was cast as Niki Lauda. Ever since I was small, Niki Lauda was somehow in German TV. He was just all around, and as far as I can judge from how I came to know him through his numerous appearances, he had quite a sense of humor. I really love the story where he crashed an interview with an American interviewer. They had asked him to meet them at the place where he had the accident that scarred him. As he found out, they wanted to make it dramatic and emotional, hoped he would cry, so he decided to change the odds and bought himself a piece of bread that looked like an ear and positioned it at the scene before the interview which lead to following scene: 'Mister Lauda, how is it to be here…‘ ‚Just a moment!‘ ‚What are you doing?‘ ‚Oh look, here’s my ear!‘ And that completely crashed the interview
  15. Doug Sundseth

Or someone annoying from England. Assuming those are different things. ETA: It looks like "Chezza" is a nickname in use for both "Cheryl" and "Charles" (which can also be "Chazza").
  16. Cranky Dog

And you also have to take into account that Kickstarter has projects all over the world, and ethics and IP laws vary from one country to the other. Meaning you get a whole new level of legal headaches as to what applies or not. And since Kickstarter is not a law enforcing agency, aside from cancelling a project and/or refunding people, it doesn't have much recourse in anything else.
  17. Xiwo Xerase

Name game... For the first: Xiwpap. I don't think that's pronounceable outside of Wales or Greece. (Although the romanized Greek would be "Chiorar", with a long 'o'.) For the second: Chezza. This actually sounds like a name. I wouldn't use it for an adventurer personally. Seems a reasonable name for a wererat henchman though.
  18. odinsgrandson

Last time I tried this, the guy basically said "ethics are subjective, so whatever I say is correct." I was definitely hoping that someone on here might feel the same way, but also be... um, smarter? I think we've got some pretty intelligent people on here who are at least willing to play devil's advocate.
  19. Today
  20. Illithar

Getting To Know You — May 2019

The Western Air Temple from Avatar The Last Airbender. All the Air Temples are pretty cool, but this one is made of upside down buildings on the underside of a cliff. Minor God of War 4 Spoiler: Ok... I'm gonna cheat a bit for my third one. It's Sci-Fi, not Fantasy, but I think it falls a bit under 'Supernatural'. The 'planet' known as Olaf from the RPG Eclipse Phase. It's over 2 million kilometers in diameter, turns out it's a dyson sphere, only you're on the outside of the sphere, not the inside.
  21. SisterMaryNapalm

Google Hangouts Chatter thread

I am at the hangout now.
  22. klarg1

After lunch, my hypothetical character name has evolved to 'Sandosi', or possibly 'Chiosi'. Definitely better than before.
  23. A while ago (alright a long while ago) a gameshop was going out of business. One of the last things left on the shelves were a series of Artizan Design pulp characters. The price was right and i was planning a Cthulhu game so i purchased a number of their packs. The game fell through and the miniatures sat in the back of my storage cabinet. But in a fit of wanting to paint something modern, I brought them out and gave them a quick paint job in case i developed a need for a crew of 20's era adventurers. I also had a bit of fun with their posing for pictures and got some much needed practice with the camera (Kudos to @Doug Sundseth for his expertise and help) So.... It was 1922, the war was over and the world was in a frenzy of frolicking and excitement but at the edges, darkness was beginning to creep back into the minds of men. a group of scientists were discussing their views of the war in a room containing the private library of Wilhelm von Bruhegier "over here my good fellows, do you see it on the top shelf?" Jacob had spotted a tome of a lost civilization said to be the path to the vaults of that race with treasures untold. the others rushed to look as well! While realizing it could make them rich and support the university for decades, I was also a job for younger men. As there was a curse associated with the vaults, they didn't desire to have their names attached so they carefully provided a map to one of their graduate students and dropped hints to a trusted archeologist and a well heeled patron of 'unique' cultures. They met in the library to discuss what they had learned. A careful investigation of the shelves provided access to the priceless tome! While the men evaluated the book, the archeologist was drawn to something different about the desk... A little manipulation of the desk caused a secret drawer to spring open providing an ancient compass and a cypher key! with that the party was off to seek fame and glory! However, not far behind them Madam Bruhegier came into the library to determine the fate of her husband's works Quickly discovering that the bait had been taken she and her henchmen were off to recover the goods... after they young fools had sprung all the traps and taken on the curse of course! Before leaving, she went to the shelves and extracted a small metal symbol, said to be the answer to the final puzzle Many days later the inspector hawkens arrived on the scene with 2 detectives, investigating the deaths of three of the university professors and the disappearance of three promising students investigation of the room turned up evidence of the missing students but no indication of where they had gotten to. a nudge by the inspector revealed the secret drawer and a note left by the intrepid archeologist. The inspectors fanned out to search for more clues, quickly discovering signs of the Madam's passing and fearing the worst... And this is where our story leaves us. i hope you enjoyed the minis and the little tale I put together for them. This was to be the beginning of the Cthulhu game that never got started. (players were broken into two groups: the adventurers and the police) the quest was to discover one of the treasure vaults of Atlantis Thanks for looking!
  24. Glitterwolf

That's great!
  25. Loim

Glad to hear.
  26. Xiwo Xerase

That really is amazing news. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  27. NebulousMissy

Good news from yesterday. Amazingly good news. For those who remember the guy at my work who had the heart attack, who I had to do CPR on while most everyone else just watched... He's back at work. And he's still himself, with the addition of some stents. His memory of the event is missing but he's lost nothing else.
  1. Load more activity