All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. for me, it's more they don't really serve a purpose. i don't get critique on my projects, it's a lot of effort to try and get good photos for them, but yes also i just have so blinkin' many in progress stuff but yea think i'll just stick to show off threads
  3. I made the same decision a little while ago, just had way too many unfinished projects floating about. I liked making my WIP threads, but I don't paint well enough to warrant making one for each mini I paint, but I lose interest too quickly when I try to work on a group of them.
  4. Ideas: Stranded ship which became a Town/building Undead Version Flying Version Sunken Version Pirate Version Navy/Merchant version Cut it all up for wreckage ( HERESY!!!) Ship with wheels/legs Ark of the Ages carried by monsters/ undead/slaves as a sort of mount for a supreme sorcerer/necromancer/liche lord/tomb queen?
  5. Each city you encounter on every continent is now basically a stranded ship which was used as a city, it will form the Town Square and then other buildings were built around in when the city expanded. It might even be the Palace!
  6. Awesome! it might also function as a nice scenic photobackdrop for painted minis. Halflings/Wizards/Elves/Nazgul..
  7. I am considering just stop making WIP threads and just paint them and do Show Off ones from now on Also I ordered a weighted blanket in hopes it will help my anxiety and insomnia
  8. Some more story to bore you all with. *********************** Discovered! Colonel Alvarez and his men were seated around the large table in the main hall of Xolotl's chambers, here they were joined by Alsnia, Nahuatl and Draghor. Xolotl looked worried when he spoke, You're welcome here of course as allies against the Reptilians, although your actions during the last battle speak against you. We're not entirely certain if we can still trust you! On top of that you might have been followed and this could mean the enemy will finally know our location! This is a terrible situation especially since our friends are on an expedition and we're not at full strength yet. Alvarez replied, I understand your feelings, I'm not sure if your location has been discovered, we did lose some men on the way here, we were followed for a while but we're not sure for how long. I apologize for the events during the battle, such is War, unexpected things happen, we had no choice than to retreat at that time and we couldn't warn you in time. As you can see this is all that's left of our army, we ask for asylum here, we will help you in any way we can and offer our swords and muskets. One day we hope to be able to return to our country, for now you're our only hope for survival, we lay our lives in your hands! Alsnia whispered something in Xolotl's ear. Right! Xolotl said, I wonder if this is all that's left of your forces, where are your ships? Alvarez looked down at the table, we where betrayed by Captain Gonzales, he took command of the ships together with the Pirate Captain James Alday and they left us on the beach. Another ship was destroyed by a monster. MORE BETRAYAL! Draghor bellowed. These men are not to be trusted! First they marooned Firebeard, then they left us during the Battle, they betrayed each other stealing ships, and now they might have led the enemy to our door! I say we finish them here and now! Why should we put our trust in them? What good will a handful of them do? Colonel Alvarez turned pale, Father Escolano softly started to pray, one of the men clenched his pistol, Alvarez shook his head, and the soldier let it go. It went silent for minutes when Alsnia stood up. We're their only hope, we should not let them down, they came to us in time of need, let them prove themselves! We can use any men in the fight, if we kill them we would be no better than the Reptilians! Thank you My Lady! Colonel Alvarez said. We're willing to prove ourselves to you, let me remind you that Captain Gonzales not only betrayed us, but was also the man responsible for marooning Sgt. Fillippa who you call Firebeard! This one man has caused more trouble than we could imagine, but he's not an example of our people! He turned to Draghor, I hope I can convince you that we're reliable men, I understand your doubts, ask of us what you want, and we will do it to prove our worth to you. Draghor grumbled a bit, I may have overreacted, he admitted, I still think it was foolish of you to come here like this, if the enemy has found our hideout we're in lots of trouble. You want to prove yourself? Help me putting up the defenses, I'm afraid we will need those very soon! Alvarez nodded, of course! From what I've seen in the short time here, I think a few musketmen placed in strategic positions might turn the entrance into a cul de sac. Seeing that Draghor didn't understand the term he explained, an enemy would be hemmed in from all sides except the behind, it's basically a kill zone. With some muskets and bows we can hold up the enemy for quite a while if we narrow down the entrance. Draghor nodded, now that's good thinking, maybe you're useful after all. Xolotl turned to Nahuatl, how is the breeding program going? The Beastmaster smiled, quite well! I already have five raptors who've reached maturity and they're being trained as we speak, the strange thing is they only accept female riders. Escolano looked shocked, Raptors? You mean you breed monsters? Of course Nahuatl replied, we will need to fight the enemy with their own weapons, properly trained these beasts will be a great asset to us, you have no need to fear them. Alvarez laid his hand on Escolano's shoulder, worry not Father, the Lord works in mysterious ways doesn't he? I'm certain we'll be fine here, while saying that he gave Escolano a look that made the Inquisitor understand he'd better be quiet now. Good! Xolotl said, it's decided then! You can stay and help Draghor, I just want to warn you! At the first sight of betrayal we will not hesitate to feed you to the Raptors! No need for that, Alvarez said, we will prove it to you! And with that the meeting ended. Outside hidden in the bushes Sssllthr watched the entrance of the dungeon. So this is where the rebels were hiding all this time, he thought, there must be some sort of magic at work here, the Frogking would have seen this in his visions otherwise. Now how to proceed? For a moment he found himself clutching the small silver flute around his neck. Would it still work? The giant demonic worm he summoned with it last time was killed, did this mean the flute was now useless or would it just summon another one? He fought the urge to try it, the Orb of Tanith was somehwere in there, if he unleashed the creature it might get lost, no...this asked for a more subtle approach! The Orb first! annihilation later! **************************************************
  9. Yes that is it. Didn't want to come up when I sorted by 'threads I started'
  10. Today
  11. There will always be larger events in this world we cannot directly do anything about. Either brought on by societal issues or natural events. But that doesn't mean that we as individuals are necessarily helpless. Already there are a lot of here who are paying more attention to our gardening than usual, a few I think who have set up vegetable bartering pacts with their neighbors, etc. In doing so, even at a small level we are counteracting the chaos, bringing food into being where there was none before, and even though our individual efforts are but small drops, we are still doing something to provide for ourselves, others as well perhaps. This is not helplessness. What we can do in situations like this is first, look after those we live with the best we can, in whatever way we can, then extend that out to to our neighbors, focus on actual community consisting of real people, not pixels on a phone or screen.* Either start or strengthen existing ties in our neighborhoods,** because, and I do not in any way mean to either incite fear or panic by saying this, we probably aren't out of the woods yet as far as the way things are going. Strong communities, however small and modest, even if just one's block or building, can weather far better the whims of fate than individuals, however strong they may personally be. This year has brought more change and disruption than then a great many people ever thought was possible, and we have not yet felt the full consequences of what has already occurred from the virus, and the aftermath of the current ongoing unrest will likely bring more as well. Feeling overwhelmed by it all is understandable, each day seems to bring another event thought to be unlikely or impossible, and everyone has their limits. But think back on Frodo and Sam and their journey across Mordor. (Wisconsin) Tolkien wrote that in order to remind us that it requires extraordinary events to bring out what is best in us, just as it can bring out the worst as well in some. The year of 2020 is our opportunity to do exactly that. Yes, the general sense of normalcy has been lost, yes, each day can seem as if it is more dire than the last, but it is under these conditions, that we can perhaps find the unnormal and extraordinary with ourselves, and even though our reach may be limited, we still each of us have a reach. I cannot say that all will be well, I cannot promise that the world will ever return to what we were used to, I cannot say that there will not be further trials ahead, but I can say that we have it within ourselves to face them and deal with them when the time comes. It may not be comfortable, it may not be easy, but as humans***, we are nothing if not adaptable. * I'm not saying we need to abandon the forum, but the encroach of technology has had a detrimental effect on the way most people usually socialize, and taking steps to reverse that process is something that we as a society have a need for, if for no other reason than our individual mental well being. **Bear in mind this is coming from someone who does not paticularly like his neighbors, so the fact that despite my cynical nature and general low expectations from humanity at large, the fact that I have begun to do so should have a certain weight to it. (In truth the above screed is something I am rather shocked in writing in the first place, as I thought whatever Aquarian idealism I may once have possessed was long dead and gone, and the thought it may not be is conflicting on several levels.) *** I refer to humans, but considering the amount of food posting on the forum there are times that I seriously wonder if the majority of you may not actually be hobbits. (yes this played a role in my Frodo and Sam example.)
  12. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info, that was bugging me.
  13. A headband visor can be bought for about 20 euro/dollars. It really helps! Looters are looking good.
  14. Great color scheme - dark and atmospheric, suits the character well I think!
  15. Awesome, One thing though, while you're still working on something it should be posted in Works in Progress. When doen it's a Show Off. That being said, I like the improvement. And the face is awesome, you've captured the look, he's sneaking around for his next meal.
  16. Thx, I was inspired by the Discus Fish. I was a bit worried it might be too much, but then again look at the real thing..crazy colours!
  17. So, I printed over 50 pieces now ( mostly minis but also some weapons and terrain stuff) Painted 4 of them so far, I really need to paint more. I do have a lot in WIP though. https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91732-female-oni-kyogin-by-glitterwolf/ https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91729-merfolk-warrior-by-glitterwolf/ https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91365-elvira-mistress-of-the-dark-by-glitterwolf/ https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91382-survivor-dog-by-glitterwolf/&tab=comments#comment-1938859
  18. Painting Ma'al drakar in 7 days with size 0 brushes. Seriously, it was a glorious experience and I learned a great deal, but my lovely beastie half killed me in the process, lol. I'd repeat any of the 7-day challenges, except for that one. Regular life, probably having both MrBoot and I in graduate school programs at the same time. It was a marriage-strengthening time in our lives, overall, but man it was rough. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D
  19. Well...dang it. I guess all of our Pathfinder campaigns are just gonna have to take place on a ship now. At sea? Sailing ship. In the desert? Land ship. In the sky? Airship. Among the stars? Spaceship. Besieging a city? BATTLESHIP. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D
  20. Excellent choices. The dice are from Gatekeeper Gaming's Halfsies line. I got the decals from an Etsy shop. If anyone wants to know which one, go ahead and PM me for the deets. Same goes for the pins. And don't forget to check the "Flash Drive O' Doom" @Fire_Eyes GF
  21. Question June 2nd. What is one thing you're glad you tried but would never do again?
  22. I think if your focus is more on the mental aspects of painting, "Overcoming painter's block" would be the best title. "Improving as a mini painter" would probably have people joining looking for actual painting techniques. That said, I think this has value as a topic. I think nearly every painter has run into "painter's block" before, and imposter syndrome can definitely be an issue (I started having problems with it a lot more when I started teaching ReaperCon classes, myself). Tips for how to get back to enjoying the hobby (give yourself permission to make mistakes sometimes!), as well discussion about how different painting levels work better for different people depending on your needs (competition and gaming each focus on different painting skills) might also be helpful. Huzzah! --OneBoot :D
  23. I appreciate being able to share here, because I couldn't talk about this with any of my family members without causing the female members to totally panic (well, panic more) or my dad to get political. My brother would probably be fine to chat with, but the poor guy has enough stress in his personal life just now. Things are still quiet here in SE Washington, but we're getting some very scary reports from most of MrBoot's siblings (one lives in Portland, OR; one lives in Salt Lake City; one lives in Seattle, and one lives in Missoula, Montana). His brother in Salt Lake is reporting riots, burning cars, guard being called out, and a two-day curfew. Missoula had such a big protest happening downtown that the brother-in-law there (who works as a beverage delivery driver) said the driver had to skip that part of his route (though he didn't know whether anything worse was happening). His sister in Seattle hasn't said much other than that she and her husband are okay. I feel so bad for them; they're the youngest, married less than a year, and have already had to deal with job insecurity, a pandemic, and now literal rioting in the streets. His older brother in Portland has been the most affected. He works as a jeweler for a chain of pawn shops in downtown, and says that lots of pawn shops downtown have been broken into and looted, including one right next door to the one he's currently working at. He did say there wasn't likely to be many, if any, guns or ammo left in them, since his stores at least saw an enormous jump in gun and ammo sales due to the pandemic (Please note, I'm not mentioning this to open up debate on firearm issues, just stating what is happening). I'm just happy that where he and his family live is a quiet area. I'm...having trouble finding words to describe how I'm feeling right now, but I suppose @Cyradis said it best: that there's really nothing I can do about ANY of this and it's just so terrible and I hate feeling so helpless. Raw is probably another good descriptive word. Like, there's just too much happening all at once. --OneBoot
  24. Thanks to you both! I have the Ma'Al Drakkar sitting on a to do list. (Well, more occupying a large section of floor at the moment) But thinking its more a work up to project at the moment. Still want to give them something suitably large to fight against.
  25. Hm. How do you tell if something is caused by impostor syndrome, social anxiety, or both? Both times I've even put forth the idea of speaking in front of people, I've been nervous about doing so. (Although, the last time, I did end up speaking in front of people and it wasn't bad... The hard part is being comfortable enough to start talking. And then the hard part is stopping talking...) I wonder if I'm going to regret this. We'll find out!
  26. Awesome! Will there be a Kindle edition?
  27. (Those of you on Discord will see a slightly earlier version of what's below.) I have been considering the following class (well, talk) proposal for ReaperConLive: "Improving as a Mini Painter" (title to be refined). The actual technique advice isn't the point. ("How do you improve as a painter? Spend time painting.") It's more about things like identifying what keeps you from painting (e.g. impostor syndrome and what Pressfield calls "Resistance" in The War of Art), overcoming it, finding inspiration, etc. More the psychology of painting rather than the practice. Do you believe this would be useful to you or others? Is this idea worth pursuing and refining? (Has someone already beaten me to the topic?) Alternate title ideas: "Motion Over Inertia: Becoming a Better Mini Painter"; "Overcoming Painter's Block"
  1. Load more activity